Moderator Control Panel ]

Smoked fish

General Questions

Smoked fish

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 am

Smoked a speckled trout in my smoker last night and it was to die for. Marinaded the whole fish minus head and guts in italian dressing for 6 hours then smoked it with hickory wood chips. When it was done the skin fell off and just pulled the bones out with one pull of the spine. Will be trying some more recipes later on. Here is a good website to get started. http://www.3men.com/smoked.htm
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Re: Smoked fish

Postby mb82 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Looks at backyard... I so need a real smoker the Good Eats built on just does not cut it. Sounds good.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby JHasty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:34 pm

>>> Tracy do not discount Blue Fish on your smoker. King Mac's smoke well.

Postby Cutter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I've never smoked specks, but that sounds great. For blues and kings, I marinade in soy sauce with a heavy dose of black pepper. Grease a sheet of tin foil with olive oil. Smoke on a Weber grill with coals and wood chips banked to the side and a pan of water between. I shoot for a grill temp under 300 and smoke for at least 2 hrs. Works pretty well. Anybody else got some smoking tips?????????? I love cooking on real fire :D
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Mr. Hasty I never turned my nose up to a bluefish. Hope to smoke blues and spanyards next. However I have to catch them first :lol: Took leftover trout and made fishcakes today YUMMY!

Postby woody » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 am

I smoke specks on my grill about 4 nights a week
I fillet the fish and keep the skin on
with skin down, I rub (and you should rub to enhnace the flavor) soy into the meat, then I top with a little olive oil and minced garlic,
spread some rosemary over the top of this (fresh is best) and allow to sit as you prepare your grill

I use Cowboy charcoal that I get from Ace ( so good that I think I could just eat that) and begin to soak some chips from old Jack Daniel Barrels (I think you can buy those from most outlets)

I never put charcoal lighter on my charcoal but opt to start the coals in a chimmney

when the coals are ready, I put them to one side of the grill and place the fish (skin side down) and smoke them for 20 minutes (I usually have to add chips to the coals twice during cooking)

Lift the fish up usually sans the skin and devour :D
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby kendalloz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Me thinks this should be in the "general" forum and not in fly tying general...or did i as usual miss something. Never had smoked speck but have had super smoked blues. Actually, if my wife had her way, I'd bring home about 3 three-pound blues every trip. Her favorite...a little italian drssing and cooked on the grill. Other way is lightly breaded, seared in a pan on the stove, then put the pan on the grill to finish! Super. Your eyes will roll back in your head!!!!!!

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Sorry Kendal I ment to put it in the other general and wasnt paying attention.

Postby woody » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:02 am

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... June09.jpg
now that is what I am talking about!
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Return to General