Moderator Control Panel ]

Brian and other photo gurus

General Questions

Re: Brian and other photo gurus

Postby ecks » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am

MalcolmRobertson wrote:
ecks wrote:Hi all. I'm a pro. photog. and can tell you that the d200 will produce outstanding images at 400, 800 and 1600 iso. Double check your settings. If you are shootings jpegs, make sure your image size is set to large and fine.
If you are shooting at a lower resolution your images will look very grainy. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

ecks

Ecks,
I'm shooting in RAW and post processing through Adobe CS2/Bridge/Camera Raw.

Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing, the only thing I can add is that grain/noise shows up pretty quick on underexposed images (not that your posted image looks underexposed).

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:36 am

thanks for the tip will do that---some of mine tend to be under exposed. I still have the a d200 for a back up
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:25 am

ecks wrote:
MalcolmRobertson wrote:
ecks wrote:Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing, the only thing I can add is that grain/noise shows up pretty quick on underexposed images (not that your posted image looks underexposed).

Ecks--I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it! :D

I'm pretty sure underexposure is creating some of the problems. Which is somewhat of a catch22 with shooting these tarpon jumps. Pat Ford told me to set the exposure compensation at -1/3 to -1/2 stop. His rationale was that your camera is metering blank water and sky just before the fish jumps and doesn't compensate quickly enough for a silver/reflective fish exploding into the frame, which gets blown out without the compensation.

I tried it both ways--the shots without compensation adjustments have less noise, but the highlights on the fish are getting clipped pretty badly.

Thanks for the reply.

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Remember Pat also shoots a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and it has a different sensor and metering system
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Previous

Return to General