Moderator Control Panel ]

Brian and other photo gurus

General Questions

Brian and other photo gurus

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Just got back from the Keys and I have been reviewing my images. I got a lot of great jumps, not tack sharp, but good enough to convey the action. The problem is the D200 doesn't seem to like ISO 400--too much grain/noise. I have tried to correct it with noise reduction in Adobe CS2, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Anybody know of a program that can correct some of the graininess in digital files?

Re: Brian and other photo gurus

Postby bhorsley » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Awesome shot--

Pat Ford told he shots with no polarize for billfish and at ISO 400 and F8. I tried it an i am amazed. Did you use a polarize filter for your shots. Without one you can gain a lot of speed without jacking up the ISO. The only way i could reduce grain was move to the D300 :oops:

natural
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Brian,
Last year, on a whim, I sent Pat Ford an email and asked him how he was getting such tack sharp images of jumps. I figured he was cranking the ISO way up to freeze the action. I was amazed when about an hour later he sent me a very detailed message back telling me exactly what he does. He told me basically the same thing you're saying...I just don't think the D200 likes ISO 400 very much. Frustrating. I see a D300 in my future.

Postby bhorsley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:15 am

you might try ISO 500 or 600--somewhere i read it was better on the D200 than ISO 400
yep Pat is nice guy
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:19 pm

For sure try different ISOs. You could take some test shots then zoom in on the computer to check your results. Even though I should not have spent the money, I also just upgraded to D300. Bought a demo from a dealer and saved $300. Works great.

Postby Reefing » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 pm

For a good post production software try noise ninja, I think you will be happy with the results. Ditto on upgrading, the newer cams have great noise reduction at higher ISOs.

Link to noise ninja: http://www.picturecode.com/

By the way, great shot, cant see much noise at this size....

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Kendall--I think I will be upgrading too, when I can swing it.

Reefing. I have been experimenting with Neat Image, which I think is similar to Noise Ninja. It helped out some, although you give up some sharpness. Are you using the stand-alone version, or the photoshop plug-in of NN?

Really frustrating to capture (what you think) are great images only to get home and see they're not up to snuff. I'm going to play with them some more in the next few days and see if I can't clean them up. We had a great trip--I'll post a report when I can get some better images together.

Postby ecks » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi all. I'm a pro. photog. and can tell you that the d200 will produce outstanding images at 400, 800 and 1600 iso. Double check your settings. If you are shootings jpegs, make sure your image size is set to large and fine.
If you are shooting at a lower resolution your images will look very grainy. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

ecks

Postby MalcolmRobertson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 pm

ecks wrote:Hi all. I'm a pro. photog. and can tell you that the d200 will produce outstanding images at 400, 800 and 1600 iso. Double check your settings. If you are shootings jpegs, make sure your image size is set to large and fine.
If you are shooting at a lower resolution your images will look very grainy. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

ecks

Ecks,
I'm shooting in RAW and post processing through Adobe CS2/Bridge/Camera Raw.

Postby bhorsley » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

we had two d200s--they both were noisy at higher ISO---we shot raw and jpegs---think 600 was a littel better than 400

i still have one and will check the setting--thanks

for us we solved the problem -- D300 :) :)
Pure-T-Mommicked

Next

Return to General