Moderator Control Panel ]

Camera Reviews

General Questions

Camera Reviews

Postby kendalloz » Sat May 30, 2009 7:38 am

Since we have some many photo taking folks here...Consumer Reports just cam out with the camera issue.

For compact (pocket) cameras top rated was Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W300 at $310. But Best buy (best bang for the bucks) went to Nikon Coolpix 5610 ($220) Canon Powershot SD1100 ($150) and Pentax Optio M50 ($120). For compact cameras the top 3 were all Canon Powershots, from the G10 ($450) to the A590 IS (110).

Interestingly, none of the point-and-shoot cameras were rated excellent in image quality. And, only 5 of the digital SLR's got that rating. Top rated "basic" DLSR was Nikon D90 but Canon EOS Rebel XSi at $700 also got the excellent quality rating for less bucks. In higher end cameras, the Nikon D300 came out on top but the Canon EOS-400D at $900 got the best buy rating. The Canon EOS 500D ($1400) actually got a lower score than the 400D. None of the other digital SLRs tested got the excellent image rating.

Re: Camera Reviews

Postby Emerson » Sat May 30, 2009 8:23 am

Kendall,
Thanks for the info...

I purchased a Pentax Optio W60 a few months back. I cannot be more pleased. It is small, easy to carry, waterproof, has a long battery life and easy to use..perfect for us rookie photographers! I highly recommend it!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Sat May 30, 2009 8:39 am

we had a pentax optio for a month and it kacked-(leaked in the rain)-- 150.00 repair bill under warranty--told them to keep it

I have talked to some people that had the Canon Powershot G10 and they were happy with it. It is the only point and shoot with RAW format.
Great info KO thanks
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:17 pm

interesting post. Brian, your post makes me happy that I opted not to get that camera. I looked at it last year while looking for something for the kayak and snorkeling but ended up going with the Canon Powershot SD 710 with a waterproof case and it is awesome.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Sun May 31, 2009 6:56 am

in the cameras defense--i know lots of people who have great results with it. I flood a cannon powershot in an underwater housing--so be careful
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Cutter » Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 am

I have had several generations of Sony DSC, Mine, my wife's, my father-in-laws......... All take good pics and are durable. The sofware is good too. I just wish they shot in RAW and had a waterproof option.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Emerson » Sun May 31, 2009 10:32 am

I had read about that (the getting wet from some onwers) and maybe..the newer ones(60 as opposed to the 50) are not as bad...Hopefully!! I do get mine wet from spray or rain but I have never submerged it and do not intend to.. It is very thin..fits in a pocket and is has 10 megs...but it only cost $210..

Heh Brian,
I bet yours would have been fine with the new camera case invention! :geek:

Emerson

Postby BlueHeron » Sun May 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks KO
great to have that summary.

I have aways thought the powershot line has the best lineup of features among the little guys - except not waterproof. I have had the optio W30 since it was the brand new model - carry it in the mesh pocket of my PFD when kayaking, and rinse it under the tap when I get home. Never have deliberately submerged it. working fine. (I don't have the "case" upgrade of E, yet). disadvantages: no viewfinder - only the display, so tough in bright sunlight sometimes; and the infernal delay from push to shoot.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Emerson » Sun May 31, 2009 9:11 pm

GBH,
I forgot...huge delay also....plus if you turn it sideways and have polarized glasses, the screen does to black..it must be polarized as well!

I have a spare camera case here ...! Going for a song... :lol:

Emerson

Postby Reefing » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Would love a G10 for the boat, great little cam. Like a DSLR in a P&S.

Next

Return to General