Moderator Control Panel ]

Barbless Hooks

General Questions

Barbless Hooks

Postby hh65cdr » Wed May 13, 2009 9:25 pm

I have found that when you use a barbless hook it is a good thing! The first time I saw this I thought "you cant catch fish this way" I have come to find that it is a good thing to mash your barbs down. I had to mash them down on the Roanoke thinking what a waste of a good fly. When I got back home I opted to use my barbless hooks and found that it is way easier to catch and release a fish on the barbless hooks. Didnt see where I lost any fish without a barb on the fly. I do keep a fish every now and then on the weekend when I can take it strait home and cook it for the freshness. On the other hand I enjoy catch and release. So I find this way less harm on the fish. Im sure alot of you know this but just wanted to share with all. Tracy
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Re: Barbless Hooks

Postby Cutter » Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Mike Hill would agree. I pulled a deeply embedded 6/0 treble out of his hand while it was still connected to a blackfin tuna. Ask Brian how he enjoyed it. Lets just say barbless is better for fish and people! Good topic.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby mb82 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Yep normally I fish barbless in saltwater for easier hook removal in the yak. I do mash them down on the water though because if I am having trouble keeping the fish on the line I will put a barbed fly back on till I figure out what I am doing wrong with my hookset.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Emerson » Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 am

Long ago I thought I would loose more fish using barbless....wrong..I loose just as many as before :lol:

The barbless are way better for all of the good reasons:
1. First, they penetrate faster and easier due to not having that big fat barb to go through ....

2. We all know that getting a barbless hook out of your own body is lots easier than with a barb. The best time to see this happen is when you are fishing by yourself and you hook yourself...no problem..it still might be stuck but you can get it out! What a pain..both figuratively and literally when you have the hook in your body with no one else around to help!

3. The other huge reason is that if you use a net..how many times has a fish thrashed around and the barb has gone through the net material....what a super pain to get untangled. No barb .....way easier....now use a rubber or platsic net....even easier!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby BlueHeron » Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am

Are you guys talking for all species?
I like the many advantages cited for barbless - the barbs have caused us all a host of "issues", but wonder if there aren't some fish that would shake loose more with no barb.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby JoeB » Thu May 14, 2009 9:42 am

I throw myself at the mercy of the court. I do not fish barbless 90% of the time. :twisted: :o
Have kayak...will travel.

Postby hh65cdr » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 am

Brian had mentioned something about the Specks dont do so well in a catch and release situation. I am trying more to bring them along side the yak with out bringing them out of the water and just slide the hook out and away they go.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby JHasty » Fri May 15, 2009 6:53 am

>>> I have seen no difference w/the catch-lost ratio. We release an average of 100 fish a day, on live bait. I am a huge fan of barbless hooks.

Return to General