Moderator Control Panel ]

Camera choices

General Questions

Camera choices

Postby WSW77 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

Hoping to hear from the photography enthusiasts in the group. I normally take pictures with a Nikon D50 SLR. I have a great lens for it (18mm-200mm) and filters. It is great for the boat and when you have someone with you. But what do you suggest when you are on a trip that is mostly wading (flats or river)? I certainly do not want to wade with that thing slung on my shoulder. But I want excellent quality and fill flash. Anybody have any suggestions on a top notch digital point & shoot? :D

Shad

Re: Camera choices

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 am

Not sure if I would call it top notch simply because of the almost total lack of a zoom but my Olympus SW770 is great, waterproof takes good enough photos to make my friends think I actually know what I am doing and did I mention it is waterproof. I had it in my pocket all day yesterday and didn't even really notice it was there, so small sized.
One of the features I really like about it is the shoot and select, I use it when releasing fish I put the camera underwater and hold down the shutter and it keeps taking pictures till I release the button.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BlueHeron » Thu May 07, 2009 1:03 pm

No expert on this - di a little research over a year ago and I got the Pentax Optio W30. I was tired of missing pictures when kayaking because the camera was in a dry bag. So got this waterproof one. It takes nice pictures, and is easy to use. The shutter lag (typical of P&S) is the major annoyance ,as I am used to an SLR. But being able to have it at my fingertips anywhere is very nice. I got a neoprene case with a magnetic flap closure that lets me carry it on my belt so it is right there.
I have not been submersing it. Specs out as good to 10 feet or something - but I am wary to test that. I do rinse the salt off under the fauscet however - no problems.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby WSW77 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:34 pm

So picture quality is good w/ the Pentax. I would be using this on the water in the Bahamas and Alaska so I want good quality pictures since I would not have my SLR.

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Here are a few shots I took when I first got the camera. Still had everything on the Auto settings. The only thing I did to them was shrink the image.

You can be the judge of the image quality, this is with the 7MP camera, they have a 10MP out now.
Jeff G

Postby bhorsley » Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Jeff nice stuff
:D :D
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby mb82 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks Brian.
The sunrise one I wish I had gotten my camera out quick enough because when I first saw the shot the sun was not over the horizon yet and it was really good looking, the sun really washed out the colors of the morning.
Jeff G

Postby BlueHeron » Thu May 07, 2009 11:47 pm

Examples are a great idea - nice shots Jeff.
here are a few I took with the pentax optio.
I chose all pics taken from the kayak - I could not have taken any of these if it wasn't waterproof, compact and easy to operate. Some are winter shots - any I'm not big on having my hand out of my pogie for long!
these have all been shrunk from original 2MB files
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Return to General