Moderator Control Panel ]

Hello fellow tight loopers!

General Questions

Hello fellow tight loopers!

Postby superflyguy71 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello my name is Stephen Demma and I have been an Orvis guide and instructor for about ten years now. I am mainly a freshwater guy and have been enjoying teaching at The Homestead Orvis school. As we all know casting and fishing are two different things. I would love to learn from those of you who are willing to share on fishing the local waters. I am not interested in becoming a local guide so please dont view me as a threat! I love to learn new techniques and I dont know everything but I am more than happy to share what I do know. I am moving to Frisco in a couple of weeks for the summer and then back to West by God Virgina.
Anyway I hope to see some of you around and get to learn from you.
Cheers

Re: Hello fellow tight loopers!

Postby 9ft4wt » Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Welcome aboard.

Were you up at the Homestead when Dominion filmed the TV ad at Back Creek? I met several of the guides then, but bad as I am with names don't remember any of them.

Don was a big help to us during the process. Is he still there?

9ft4wt

Postby superflyguy71 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm

No I was not there for that, I was at the greenbrier then. Yes dons still there, it is James and I that do the school, and don and Nik that just guide but help with the school some. Small world. So get ready for that area in next 5 years or so, the state is building a ten million dollar hatchery where they will be producing giant triploidy trout that don't breed they just eat and get fat, also there is talk about putting steelhead in moomaw if you remember where that is. The fishing has been great especially for big muskie at the head of the James, I was there for the most recent pics on orvis school site but not old ones.
You ever get your cast fine tuned?

Postby 9ft4wt » Sat May 09, 2009 6:22 am

superflyguy71 wrote:No I was not there for that, I was at the greenbrier then. Yes dons still there, it is James and I that do the school, and don and Nik that just guide but help with the school some. Small world. So get ready for that area in next 5 years or so, the state is building a ten million dollar hatchery where they will be producing giant triploidy trout that don't breed they just eat and get fat, also there is talk about putting steelhead in moomaw if you remember where that is. The fishing has been great especially for big muskie at the head of the James, I was there for the most recent pics on orvis school site but not old ones.
You ever get your cast fine tuned?

if you were at the Greenbriar you may have bumbed into Demian Wiles. I don't know him well but he is one heck of a guide and fly fisherman. Wish i had 1/10th of his skills. He helped us out with a Project Healing Waters event at Escatawba a few months back.

Coursey Springs is going to be a state-of-the art hatchery when it starts up in 2010. It's opening and production may allow VDGIF to use one of its other hatcheries to focus on brook trout, which could be very exciting.

Had not heard about the steelhead in Moomaw. I know they tried that without success years ago down at Philpott. Moomaw has the McCaughney (or however you spell it) rainbows, which act a little like steelhead in that they run up the Jackson to spawn.

Were you guys getting those muskey from the james on the fly?

9ft4wt

Postby superflyguy71 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:57 am

Demian is a good personal friend of mine, I guide for him also when he needs a hand. Yes those muskie were caught on the fly. Demian is a great source of knowledge and is fun to float the river or go hunting with. Wow this world keeps getting smaller! It sounds like you make it up here a lot.Derrick does a phenomenal job with escatawba as well.

Postby 9ft4wt » Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am

Heading to Hidden Valley for a couple of days on Wednsday, been too long since i have fished up there.

Apparently there is something to that steelhead report....could be interesting.

9ft4wt

Postby hh65cdr » Tue May 12, 2009 2:22 am

Superfly. Welcome. When you get settled in you should look at joining the Outer Banks flycasters. We meet the last thursday of everymonth.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Return to General