Moderator Control Panel ]

Yak Box

Kayak Fishing

Yak Box

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am

I recently obtained 2 Milk crates in excellent condition from our local Milkman. (nice guy, was happy to donate when he heard I was using for our kayaks)( they are far more superior in stability than the crates you get at wally world or lowes.
I was able to strategically remove the property of "??????" with a grinder/sander :)

Question :?:
I was thinking of taking a 1.5" pvc pipe and attaching 2 pieces to the bottom of the Crate one on each side to give a little bit of height off the deck/well area for storage etc, so was wondering if I should cap the ends? Fill with that liquid foam stuff? or leave them open ended? Should I use maybe 2" or 3" pvc instead to make more height?

Was also thinking about cutting out one side of the box (leaving frame of coarse) for easier access?

I already have 2 pvcs on each side as Rod holders, Used Tracy's cut on the pvc of 1/2" x 5" so you can slide a flyrod down in them. They are at approx 45 degree angle, Mounted them with wire ties. Was thinking of adding another pvc vertically to hold push pole or Light pole?

Any thoughts good bad or indifferent.
Just looking for some input before I go Cutting.
I'm planning on having 2 boxes done before BCFlyfisher gets back from Italy and Greece in 2 weeks.

Any thoughts on how to mount the boxes in the well? Some sort of snap clips? Velcro? or just use Bungees ?
Bungees are less permanent?

BcFlyfisher found some pool noodles with ridges we cut down and have slit them to put on the top edges to how flies and such (Idea from Tracy)

Will post pictures of the the boxes once I'm done.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Re: Yak Box

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm

lw Im not sure I follow the lifting of milk crate. Not knocking it by any means I just dont understand your idea. My lesson learned at the boiler last summer was keep everything from falling out when you get rolled on beach reentry. Also I will not have my rods in any rod holders on reentry as they fell out and could get seriously damaged. Next time I get to beach launch again the rods will be inside the yak on launch and landing. Now that 2 cents was just about ocean side. Sound side I have not had any real big problems with rods at 45 aft and so on. I think I need a second milk crate for ocean fishing now. One I can trash and one for the sound/inlet/river. My best advice is try one feature at a time. I just use bungees to keep my crate in the yak. Have fun! Nothing better then engineering it yourself.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:01 pm

hh65cdr wrote:lw Im not sure I follow the lifting of milk crate. Not knocking it by any means I just dont understand your idea. My lesson learned at the boiler last summer was keep everything from falling out when you get rolled on beach reentry. Also I will not have my rods in any rod holders on reentry as they fell out and could get seriously damaged. Next time I get to beach launch again the rods will be inside the yak on launch and landing. Now that 2 cents was just about ocean side..

NO I agree 100% on the rolling thing, Rolled myself this year too!
Rods are in the "Boat" at launch but once out past the rolling zone :lol:
they can be put out on the racks, but mainly used for Sound and River work.

The lift thing was something I saw on another site where the guy cut down a 2nd box to give room underneath for more gear / stowage area. Instead of keeping everything in a 12 x 12 box.

Good Idea one for soundside and one for oceanside (trashable). less gear on the oceanside one. but that was the reasoning for the foam inside the pvc was to add some floatation to the box just incase.
Just a thought.
Still trying to come up with a plan. before cutting
thanks
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby SemperFly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 am

lwflyrod,

I have my crate mounted on 2 pieces of pool noodle. I don't have my box elevated for additional storage under it, but rather to suspend the box above the lip of the well. (I have a older Wilderness System "Ride" and the well tapers from front to rear, making the rear of the crate slightly wider than the well floor) The noodle provides several advantages: it is cheap, light weight, durable, trimmable, and compressable. In my mind, the last two are key. By being trimmable and compressable, I can conform the foam to the irregualr shape of the kayak's well and floor ensuring a tight, secure attachment to the boat, via bungee or adjustable webbing strap. (I have a strap permanently mounted on my yak to secure my crate.)

You can use zip-ties or glue to mount the noodle to the bottom of your crate. After measuring and cutting the noodle to size, I glued the noodle to the crate (Marine Goop) and straped it down to the kayak to set-up. Once the glue was set, I trimmed the edges and bottom of the noodle so the crate sat flush and level in the well.

SemperFly

Return to Kayak Fishing