Moderator Control Panel ]

New Yak

Kayak Fishing

New Yak

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 am

went out and bought a new yak today. I got a sit on top Malibu Mini X. After months of deliberation and finally deciding to give up until a good deal just magically showed up( which I never expected to happen) I found this little guy at Gander Mountain yesterday. It typically sells for 600 but I got it for 375 on an end of season sale. the only downside to it comes in safety. its gray, but i think a little reflective tape and a brightly colored pfd will fix that problem. Cant wait to get out and break it in.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a seat that isnt too expensive and what type of anchor to use?

thanks

bradley

here it is....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: New Yak

Postby mb82 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 am

Nice man.
I am of the school that you see moving paddle blades and a PFD long before you can see the actual boat. If you are still nervous think about getting a flag, it is also nice when you are in swells taller then you, then your buddies can tell where you are and if you have rolled :lol: For a PFD I love my NRS chinook, in bright orange it is hard to miss and the number and size of pockets is great for holding things like camera phone knife tippet.

My anchor came from West Marine, 3lb folding anchor threw 2ft of chain onto it to help it hold bottom in strong current and to try and keep from chaffing off the anchor when anchoring in rocks. Seats I really don't know because mine came from the factory with a pretty darned comfortable seat, only after 6hours or so in the boat does it start to get to me.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks Jeff. As soon as exams are over I think im gonna take it for a spin on the Shenandoah. I dont really care how cold it is. I just need to get on the water again.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby mb82 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:21 pm

BCflyfisher2012 wrote:Thanks Jeff. As soon as exams are over I think im gonna take it for a spin on the Shenandoah. I dont really care how cold it is. I just need to get on the water again.

Wear your waders or a wetsuit and go at it.
My first ever kayak trip with my own boat was February 2nd 1999, we had just had a huge snowstorm and the lake had 6-12inches of ice on it. My then girlfriend and I drove around it till we found an opening in the ice and launched. Spent 2 hours paddling around that 100ftX100ft hole in the ice running the boats up on the ice and having fun. I wish I had the picture of that day dad took of us on the wall, really don't care for the girl anymore but what a memory. Yeah we wore 5mm wetsuits( not enough if we had fallen in) but hey to be 16 and dumb again.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:27 pm

will do on the waders. great story with the ice too. I remember my first outing in my closed deck kayak, it was in early march and sleeting but I still got out and it was a blast.....even managed to get a sunfish or two to bite on the spinning rod to top things off
Bradley

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:22 am

nice yak!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby XXXi2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:34 am

Nice boat. Welcome to the club . . . we're a good bunch: we meet late at night under bridges, bang into pilings, swear, and uhhh, catch some fish too.
Definitely a good call on the waders. :geek:
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Yes, Nice Yak!,
:mrgreen:
I thought it was a good buy, and has lots of areas that we can modify/adapt to rig gear and what not.

But I got the Truck to haul it with. My hauling fee will be the use of the your old yak!.

:lol:
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:28 pm

unfortunately for you lwflyrod, it is also light enough for me to easily load it on top of my car so I can take off whenever.
Bradley

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 am

Touch~e :o
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Next

Return to Kayak Fishing