Moderator Control Panel ]

Kayaker wannabe

Kayak Fishing
FishIt

Kayaker wannabe

Postby FishIt » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 pm

From following the posts in this forum, I'm getting interested in kayak fishing... It sounds like it must be great fun. I don't presently own a kayak so I would welcome any suggestions regarding features that I should include when I buy one. Online, I've checked out close to a zillion different types, styles, features and price ranges and am more confused than enlightened. I see that there are some books on the subject... can anyone recommend a good one? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Kayaker wannabe

Postby JHasty » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 am

>>> Need to get up w/Tracy

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:59 am

Definitely get up with tracy or even jeff and they'll be a major help. i just went through the process of choosing a kayak and tracy and jeff helped me a lot
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

FishIt

Postby FishIt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:55 am

Unfortunately, I don't know either Tracy or Jeff... Maybe they'll be good enough to post a response or shoot me a PM. Any help will be appreciated.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Jeff is mb82 and tracy is hh65cdr
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby mb82 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:56 pm

I am Jeff.

First off what I need to know is where you will be paddling? Open saltwater, small lakes, rivers, all of the above? Basicly different places call for different boats. I would never use my Wilderness systems Riot to fish HRBT because it just does not track well enough to cover the distances I paddle when I am down there, but if I am floating down the James River in Richmond it is a great boat because it is so short it can turn around rocks and in light-medium rapids very well.

Generally I feel sit on top(SOT) boats are best for fishing out of simply because I am more comfortable in one, there are some guys who like sit in side boats. The names kinda tell you what the style of boat is.

I am a big fan of 2 brands of kayaks for fishing personally Wilderness system and Herritage. Both boats have great hulls that can take abuse well. Tracy is paddling another brand that to be honest I do not have much experience with but have heard some good things from.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

FishIt

Postby FishIt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks for the fast responses.

I live in Kitty Hawk so I'll be paddling in the sound, mostly between WMB and New Inlet -- I have no interest in broaching in the surf. I also don't want to spend a fortune for all the bells and whistles -- just a good basic platform that's easy to handle, good in the water and won't cost an arm and leg.

Thanks for your interest and assistance.

Doug

Postby mb82 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:26 pm

I am going to defer to Tracy on specifics since he lives down there and knows where and what kinds of boats are available. Personally something in the 11-13ft range is a nice compromise of tracking(speed) and turning ability. Also boats in that range are generally a little easier to load and unload from a vehicle because they weigh in from about 60lbs to my redfish's heavy 76lbs( my real complaint about that boat). While you said you are not going to be surf launching the sound can kick up fairly quick down there so a SOT is what I would prefer since they have scuppers to drain the water from the boat that will eventually come over the bow, or even the water from having to land all the fish you are going to be catching. Since you have been doing your research you probably noticed boats ranging from ~$250 up to I think the Pro-angler from Hobie is what $3,400. Most of my boats are somewhere around $700-800. One thing I will say is look for something with a comfortable seat or plan on getting an aftermarket seat because after 4-6hours in a boat hard plastic seats get to be very uncomfortable.

edit: oh and don't call yourself a kayaker wantabe, that word is reserved for those people whose boats are left ontop of their cars all the time but never see the water in fear of scratching the hull. You sound like you want to get out there and use your boat, eventually it probably will lead to abuse your boat.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BlueHeron » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Lots of good threads on this forum.
and real good advice above.
I'll add my ususal 2 cents
First - On the water demo several boats before you buy. they feel different to different folks. A good kayak shop has expert help and the ability to demo. Not sure where there is one down that way.

second - give at least passing consideration to a touring boat. For your expected use a SOT will almost certainly be where you end up. But the process of trying a touring boat will make you think about some of the issues of speed, range, comfort and stability differently. I say that because I have been fishing from a touring boat for 20 years - long before there were "fishing" kayaks. It has disadvantages compared to SOT (surf launching, access to gear, ease of carrying gear, maneuverability, eg) but also advantages (speed, range, warmth, tracking). Again - Probably not what you want unless you plan to do overnights, but a way to make yourself understand the various trade offs and compromises.

You will have fun.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 pm

Fishit. I would look at kitty hawk sports and Wild river outfitters. Kitty hawk has some good deals on used ones this time of year. I prefer Wild river because their staff is so freindly and helpful. My new yak was 100 dollars cheaper there as well.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Next

Return to Kayak Fishing