Moderator Control Panel ]

Yak fishing book - recommendation

Kayak Fishing

Yak fishing book - recommendation

Postby wgmiller » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:25 am

I'm toying with eventually getting into kayak fishing. Perhaps next spring or summer I'll look at making the investment. That being said, I'd like to pick up a book to read more about and for reading over the fall and winter months. I populated a list on amazon.com and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... ng&x=0&y=0 I think that kayak would really open up my fishing possibilities over wade fishing both fresh and saltwater at home and on vacation...

Re: Yak fishing book - recommendation

Postby woody » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 am

Kayak fishing is a great way to open many possibliities
We have a number of experts on this board that can dial you in on what works best
my advice is to keep it simple
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby Tailwalker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am

If you really want a book on kayak fishing, use, etc I would highly recommend buying my buddies book, Cory Ruth's Kayak Fishing, the Complete Guide. You can pretty much get them anywhere.

I've been kayak fishing for 15 years and have owned most of them. Currenly have 6 so I'd be more than glad to answer any questions you may have. I primarily flyfish out of mine but my two sons fish conventional and between the 3 of us we have fished for and landed most of the species that are available to kayakers and fish most waters both salt and fresh.

In fact the 3 of us are leaving Thursday to fish Hatteras all weekend. Hoping this NE blow has died out by then. :D

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:07 am

Having a kayak has realy opened up endless fishing spots for me here at the outer banks. Back in the spring Wild River outfitters put on a symposium that was realy great. Lots of information out there. If your down this way in the off season go into some of the rental places and check out there yaks for sale. You can get some real deals on used ones.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby wgmiller » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. My neighbor owns four kayaks and he said he got three of them at Kitty Hawk Kites at their off-season sale. Sounds like a great way to get into the sport without going "all out". It really seems like on top of getting some exercise, kayak fishing is a great way to explore and get into some fish that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get into.

I'd probably be looking at using the kayak on the Susquehanna near home and the occasional trip to the back (OBX, MD/DE, etc.). I'm sure it's just like anything else - you can get as carried away with it or keep it as simple as you want!

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

MB82 calls mine the Bizmark when its fully loaded. :ugeek:
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby wgmiller » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

:lol:

Postby kendalloz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Sometimes they have signed copies of Cory's book at Crab Creek Outfitters in Virginia Beach.

Postby meatstick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I agree with the "keep it simple" theory. I do not own a yak but have fished out of a canoe (Fresh/Salt) since I was a small kid.

Some leader material, small box of flies, de-hooking device or hemostats, drinking water, and maybe a boga grip if the fish might be toothy. One rod. Done.

Postby mb82 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

hh65cdr wrote:MB82 calls mine the Bizmark when its fully loaded. :ugeek:

Probably because mine would look the same if I kept everything out in the open and didn't hide it all in my front hatch :lol:

Cory's book is pretty good. Complete guide, no, but you really could not have a complete guide to kayak fishing, too many variables.

One of the best places I have found for ideas for kayak fishing( other then plan old experience) is the internet and other kayak fishermen.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Next

Return to Kayak Fishing