Moderator Control Panel ]

Dumb question about fish finders

Kayak Fishing

Dumb question about fish finders

Postby hortoncreek » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:38 pm

My family vacations near Corolla every year. In past I have had some success fishing from the sea kayak we rent for the week every year. Every once in awhile building sand castles from shore we can see baitfish jumping just past wave break and if I hustle myself out there I have gotten into blues and spanish.

I bought an inexpensive fish finder to put on the yak this year to hopefull allow me to locate fish when it is not so obvious. I have never used a finder before and my instructions are not clear as to where the fish are relative to my kayak. Does the transducer pick up the signals of fish and bottom directly below you... or are the targets behind you?

I have been a stream fly fisherman my whole life and simply don't know. Thanks in advance

Jeff

Re: Dumb question about fish finders

Postby mb82 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Well in a kayak they are more or less below you. In a fast moving boat by the time you see the image they are behind you.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:52 am

Horton Creek. The only Dumb question is the unasked one. I too knew nothing about fishfinders till I put one on my Yak. Now I get grumpy If I dont have one. I have found mine to be more acurate in the ocean when I get into 10ft or deeper. It marks depth good anywhere but I seem to mark fish better when I get into deeper water like off the beach. A good mark is a curve like the Mcdonalds golden arches. Alot of those curves means get your fly in the water ASAP. If you see some big curves go across your screen be ready for anything. I suggest just playing around with it till you figure it out. Mine is a cheapo Cuda that I got on sale for 60 buck and I mostly use it to show me depth and structure but every now and then I get good marks and get into the fish off those marks.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby Cutter » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:53 pm

The transducer signals and recieves in an inverted cone shape directly below the transducer. That means the deeper the water, the bigger the circle it is sampling. If you look at the technical details on your transducer it will tell you how many degrees the cone is. A little trigonometry and you can figure how big an area it is sampling at a given depth. You know, Sin, Cosine and all that stuff http://math.about.com/od/sincosine/Sin_ ... orials.htm

This means if you see it on the screen in shallow water, it is right under the transducer, if you see it in deep water it is somewhere in a wider circle under the boat.

All this assumes it is not a side view unit (unlikely).

I hope this helps.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Emerson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Yo....Did you ever teach geometry???

Here is my first day's line to my geometry class:

What did the little tree say to the big tree?

your answer here...
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby JHasty » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 am

>>> Tree n Tree is Six, Ain't It?

Postby Emerson » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:51 am

Heh..good one...I would use that..nope...

The little tree said to the big tree...." Gee Imma Tree!"

Lots of moans followed...wonder why ;) :P
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:52 pm

M-O-A-N :? :roll:

Return to Kayak Fishing