Moderator Control Panel ]

Tandem kayak?

Kayak Fishing

Tandem kayak?

Postby 9ft4wt » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 pm

My wife has decided that we need to get a tandem sit-on top kayak. I am all for it. Think it will be good for the both of us.

But, I already own a sit-in and have been trying to justify in my mind a single SOT for me. With my wife now wanting a tandem, I am probably out of luck on the single.

Which is fine. I would rather paddle double with her than fish out of a single with the guys.

However, it crossed my mind that there may be a way to compromise and get a little of both.

Is there a good tandem, that can also be paddled single -- either by design or adjustment?

I have not started any research yet, but was hoping some of the you that post here might have some suggestions to guide me.

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

9ft4wt

Re: Tandem kayak?

Postby mb82 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm

2 words Divorce Boat
Yes that is the technical term for a tandem kayak :P

Actually The Native Ultimate 14.5 tandom can be made 1 person but the front person kinda has to be shorter to fit.

I think the WS Tarpon 14 tandem can be paddled single.

Most combo tandem solo boats are really compromising boat balance to be single from the looks of the positions. I have never paddled a tandem boat though so I really can't tell from experience.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:26 am

Ocean Kayak makes the Malibu II that does single and tandem.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby Emerson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 am

I had never been in a tandem kayak, but had been in singles a number of times....sit-in style. I have canoed for 40 years or more both tandem and single. Two years ago, my wife and I rented a tandem sit-on from a place in Avon. We had wanted to do that for years as she has done lots of canoeing as well. Both of us were excited to give it a try. We took it back to Frisco area and paddled around the canals...very smooth easy water. I was amazed at how difficult it was to steer, how much coordination you need between both people. I chuckled at the name divorce boat...I can see why! Both of us were shocked as to just how difficult is. My wife likes the deal of the one person doing the work(me) and her doing more relaxing...like in a canoe......cannot do that at all in a tandem kayak!

My suggestion before you buy is to just go rent one and try it out.....that might change both people's minds...it did both of ours!!

The other thing that we always wanted to do was try a tandem bike...only seeing them, never riding one. Again, we have ridden bikes a lot! We rented one of those the next day. Much easier to use in the coordination of the 2 people and much more 2 people husband wife fun....with this the person in front can do all of the work and the person in the back can relax more.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby JoeB » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 am

I have a buddy who has a Hobie tandem (not the one with the mirage drive) and fishes most of the time alone on the boat. No issues.

My personal feeling on this has been that I would prefer to buy two used SOTs vice one new tandem. This is the route my wife and I went with 7 years ago and she now loves her "autonomy" by having her own kayak. Just my $0.02.
Have kayak...will travel.

Postby BlueHeron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:53 pm

No question in my mind: for any kayak you should try it in real water before you buy.
demo pool doesn't count.
gotta go about and paddle around a while.
Also - try a bunch. they all have different feel -that you can't alway predict just by looking.

Did paddle a tandem with my wife for four days last month. It was a touring boat not a SOT (we were camping). still married. she wants to buy one
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Return to Kayak Fishing