Moderator Control Panel ]

Camera mount anyone?

Kayak Fishing

Camera mount anyone?

Postby mb82 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Well add another thing onto my kayak. A camera is mounted
Yes I know that's a camcorder same concept.
And the proof of the shot. I just wish my camera could make me better looking

Building the mount
The mount- Take apart your Scotty rod holder, you need the part that fits into the mount and the screw. Cut a piece of 22gauge steel 6inches long by 2 inches wide. Drill a hole to fit the scotty bold and a smaller bolt to go into the tripod mount for your camera( sorry I don't know the size I happened to have a bolt that fit sitting in the garage) Bend sheetmetal 90* at about halfway, you can use a vise or my personal favorite, the kitchen table. Paint whatever your heart desires
installation- Place bolt for camera through hole and nut down into place to lock install onto scotty upright.
Use- aim camera set camera to delayed shutter snap. Push shutter button down and pick up fish hopfully in the 12 seconds it takes for the camera to wait to take the picture.

My old Olympus had an IR shutter control that I could click and it would take the picture my new SW770 does not. This would be a nice feature but I don't think it is found in any waterproof cameras.

I do have the idea for version 2.0 which would allow me to keep the rodholder infront of me also just by making the mount longer and bending it around the rodholder. The problem with this idea is I would then HAVE to brace the mount because at this point there is ~1/8in up down flex, hey what do you expect from 22gauge sheetmetal?
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Re: Camera mount anyone?

Postby woody » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm

very nice
and I know it is reallly nice that you DIY
now send us some pictures of big fish
Woody

It is certain that an atom of goodness on the path of faith is never lost.
Rumi

Postby XXXi2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Nice.
Forget making the angler look better, figure out how to make the fish look huge without the ol' "hold it out" trick. :mrgreen:
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby mb82 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:38 pm

XXXi2 wrote:Nice.
Forget making the angler look better, figure out how to make the fish look huge without the ol' "hold it out" trick. :mrgreen:

That's what photo shop is for :lol:

I need to get out, been recovering from a shoulder injury. I might get out this weekend and try and get some pictures.
Jeff G

Postby hh65cdr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Thats pretty cool Jeff. I think you need to look at working in a Yak shop as well. You have alot of great ideas.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby mb82 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pm

hh65cdr wrote:Thats pretty cool Jeff. I think you need to look at working in a Yak shop as well. You have alot of great ideas.

Heck if I had my way and another much older employee's way I would turn my shop into a semi-yak shop, with items people actually use.

To be honest I am sure I am not the first to come up with this idea. All I am doing is seeing a problem and finding the simplest( in my mind) solution.
Jeff G

Return to Kayak Fishing