Moderator Control Panel ]

Why I love the little boat...

Kayak Fishing

Why I love the little boat...

Postby Timbo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:06 am

1) Sneaky -- veeeeeeeerrrrry sneaky.
2) Used right, it gets VERY shallow without a whole lot of work
3) With some fish (shark,albies, hybrid striped bass, white bass), they think its a school of shad or bunker -- too much personal anecdotal evidence to convince me otherwise.
4) Represents one simple thing in a very complicated world -- (I own an 18' skiff, 4 stroke, CC, etc... always something to do... fix a trailer light, replace a screw, change oil, fill it with gas, etc.) My yak has consumed 0 minutes of my time on maintenance in the last 4 years, and the other Yak 0 /9.
5) On smaller waters, I usually outfish EVERYONE - PERIOD. And the fish are bigger. My skiff is the boat I take others fishing in, the yak is what I take MYSELF fishing in...
6) Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky (I snuck
0805111354.JPG
that in there -- but with a sit-on-top, I've found the paddle rests on my legs, and wearing no hard shoes, I can literally coast right up on fish within VERY short flycasting range -- no trolling motor sound, minimal hull slap, etc.)
7) An lastly, I'll let a sampling of this summer's fish say the rest (2 on the devil stick - the rest on fly)....
0805111354.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Why I love the little boat...

Postby Timbo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 am

a few more species....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby SlimyDeck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:16 am

Noice! Especially the quote " the yak is what I take MYSELF fishing in".

Only having yak fished seriously a couple times in other's botes, I don't have enough experience to develop an opinion on this....... Contrast for me, if you will, the pros/cons of SOT vs sit-in for fishing like you do - a variety of species in a variety of settings with a variety of techniques. Is one just heads above the other or do both get it done and it's just a matter of opinion?

Thanks Timbo - great post!
"The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him"

Postby Timbo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry Slimmy, Been out... just got back from a camping trip on the New River (near Jefferson, NC) with friends.... Sit on top vs. Sit in..... I've used both extensively.... I'd have to say that if I were mainly doing cold weather, open water, or really long paddle type stuff, I'd do the sit-in -- just because you can put a spray skirt on it, stay dry without wearing waders, etc. This doesn't apply to my "normal" though. Most of the time I'm using the Yak in skinny water, and warmer seasons, which means I can slip off and stalk / wade. SOT wins in that category. The SOT is a touch higher, which is good for fly casting, and even with an errant boat wave or river rapid, you have nothing to bail.... just drains out the drain holes. For me, I wouldn't go back to a "sit in", but it was a great boat to start in, and I learned an aweful lot in that 10' Perception. Now I've got a Tarpon 10 / Wilderness Systems -- love it. (10' is perfect for the New, and works OK on the coast), if I lived at the coast all the time, I might slip up to a 12.... Hope that helps....

Postby bruce741 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 am

Is one just heads above the other or do both get it done and it's just a matter of opinion?

Postby bruce741 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Only having yak fished seriously a couple times in other's botes, I don't have enough experience to develop an opinion on this....... Contrast for me, if you will, the pros/cons of SOT vs sit-in for fishing like you do - a variety of species in a variety of settings with a variety of techniques. Is one just heads above the other or do both get it done and it's just a matter of opinion?

Return to Kayak Fishing