Moderator Control Panel ]

MON - 11/29: heading out with the new fly rod tomorrow

Kayak Fishing

MON - 11/29: heading out with the new fly rod tomorrow

Postby HanoverYakker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:18 am

Anyone interested in joining me?

Was thinking of hitting Lynnhaven or Poqouson Flats this time..........

My new toy (thanks Dale and Jeff at Orvis) is a 10'0" 7wt Hydros 4 pc rod paired to a Battenkill Mid-Arbor IV reel and got a spare spool as well. One is rigged with Saltwater floating line, and the other a 200 grain slow sinking Depth Charge line. Jeff and Dale also helped me pick out some various minnow/clouser looking flies and a couple silverside impersonations.

Can't wait.....

Re: MON - 11/29: heading out with the new fly rod tomorrow

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Good Luck! Hope the first cast gets eatin :D
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby mb82 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Where he is heading hopefully. Thanks for the thank you Dale says the same.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby HanoverYakker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 am

Here's the post I made on KBF and TidalFish.........

Spent the day at Rudee Inlet after learning that the winds were going to be a little stiff out on the Poqouson Flats. The day started off crisp and cold at 6 am. Air temps were still low after the 20 degree drop overnight and hovered right around 43 before sunrise. Water temps were 50 pre-dawn but warmed up to 53 or so as the day wore on.

Started the morning off tossing my new fly rod and clousers - nary a bite to be found. So I switched it up and tried various Gulp and other soft plastics to no avail. I paddled throughout the coves and came across some potential hot spots in the spring and summer to remember. I also came across an eerie looking albino fish that almost looked to be out of place until I made a call to fellow KBFer Lawst Frawg (Kyle), and he let me know most likely that it was an ocean-based drum of some sort that had his color pigmentation bleached by the shallow water and sun in Rudee. I had startled him, so I was unable to even make a cast. Then again, I wasn't really expecting to find a creature of that size in 2' of water either :o!!!

I keep exploring the various structure during peak low tide and made some more mental notes. I paddled back out towards some other structure I had fished in previous trips but to no avail. The fish were there, but perhaps I had missed the prime fishing window during the night. A friend of Kyle's landed a 33" striper as well as a number of pup reds, some specks and a flounder before heading out as I was putting in. Dumb luck :evil:!!

As high tide started rolling in, the winds picked up and made keeping boat position out in the inlet difficult, so I paddled over to some other structure that had produced before, nary a bite to be found. Man this was getting frustrating........until I remembered Ole' Henry.........

I noticed some other boaters and yakkers around, so I just put my rods up and let the wind take me for a drift until no one else was around. I quickly paddle into the shallows and begin my search..........

After about 30 minutes, I find him and was able to almost reach down and touch him in the shallow water before he would swish his tail and swim away but he stopped each time and turned around.......maybe he wants something to eat? How about a lil' Killa Squilla from Marsh Works my friend. I think you'll absolutely love the new Electric Chicken color..........

A couple of casts to take his attention away from me, then the perfect cast 10' in front of him and a couple of quick hops and he makes his move. He stops over top of the bait and...........

Well, the fight lasted an hour, and ended up with me being taken on a sleigh ride up and down the cove on four different runs. Since I was only using a medium spinning outfit matched with a 20lb braid and a 15lb flouro leader, I couldn't really horse him in, and of course my net is not designed for something this massive........

Alas, all my albeit novice attempts in playing the fish were not enough. After an hour fight, he decided he had had enough and made a hard run to the shallow oyster bar and snapped me off.......... :(

All is not lost though, it was my first Kayak Sleigh Ride in the kayak and now I know to bring my medium heavy casting outfit next time with the 65lb braid loaded for Ole' Henry :) :) !!!

Postby toddkfly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Big 'ol black drum!!!

Return to Kayak Fishing