Moderator Control Panel ]

Renting a kayak

Kayak Fishing

Renting a kayak

Postby wgmiller » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I have to wonder if at $69/week, renting a kayak doesn't make more sense than trucking mine down (300+ miles). The only thing is a rental wouldn't have any rod holders, etc.

http://www.kittyhawk.com/rentals/kayakrentals.cfm

Hmmmm.... :?

Re: Renting a kayak

Postby mb82 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:06 pm

Personally I like my boat and the way it is set up so much I would bring it anywhere.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby wgmiller » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I tend to agree with you and using a rented kayak is probably like cooking in someone else's kitchen. But the logistics and price certainly are attractive. Since the sole purpose of my trip to the OBX is a family vacation, I just may have to stew on this one a bit. I can easily justify the cost for a week since the rental fee will equal the wife's greens fees for one round of golf! :lol:

I could always bring along my milk crate with rod holders, anchor, etc.

Postby mb82 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Also $69 is a bit in gas. At $2.75 for regular for gas ( norm what I have seen recently) thats 25 gallons you would have to burn extra to make renting worth it. Normally I see 1-2mpg drop in mileage with my kayak on the roof of my Dodge Neon. So you can do the math if it is really worth it.

For me and my 180mile trip it is not worth it. My boats are set up for OBX my Dad and BIL basicly only use their boats there. Hence the trailer this year, which while a bit more of a pain trying to find a place to eat and stuff resulted in 7mpg better drive down over the boats on the roof.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 pm

I have used both rentals and my own down there and I must say that it is worth the extra gas to bring your own down. the rental I used wasn't terrible but nothing quite beats the feel of your own boat
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby hh65cdr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 am

I have extra yaks. Your welcome to borrow one if needed.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby wgmiller » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:01 pm

That's a fine gesture hh. I'll shoot you a PM and let you know the verdict. I think I can find a place inside the vehicle for all the kids' sand toys so hopefully my yak will come with me! :mrgreen:

Return to Kayak Fishing