Help for smallies!

Kayak Fishing

Re: Help for smallies!

Postby meatstick » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Now that's a Smallie !! :o

Good show, Timbo !!

Postby Timbo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks Meatstick... my best so far.... caught last week -- 15 years of trying -- never broke 5lb. on the river till then. Caught some of your Carp entries -- Love some tips on the "golden bone"... Still a blank on my list -- lots on the new, but haven't unlocked the fly code there for them yet.... Orange bugger?

Postby meatstick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am

You could try an orange bugger ... I haven't gotten around to that yet. Not too bright, maybe a brownish orange. Long shank # 8 hook ... might work well. I use black and brown buggers in that size with good success. I tie most of them with plastic eyes (like bead-chain) in black. Makes the bugger look more like a dragon nymph. Any dark nymph is good as long as it sink somewhat slowly.

Timbo, find a location where you can sight-fish 'em. That way you'll be able to witness their reaction to the presentation. No big-time retrieving involved. Just a little twitch or 2 to get their attention. Then let 'em approach the fly and suck it in. Stealth is a big factor. Keep at it.
Once you land a couple fish it will all come together. When in doubt, go smaller on the nymph.

You've got me beat by a mile. My personal best smallie on fly was 19.5" ... from the Potomac ... 4 wt and # 6 white crazy charlie bonefish fly.

Postby Timbo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 am

Thanks Bro, I'll definitly give it a try! I've had 1 parting on a giant Grass Carp on a chartreuse popper (while munching on willow leaves), and another parting on a "dog food" fly near a Restaurant (that has regular patron feedings), SCORE: Golden Bonefish 2 | Timbo 0 I'd really rather catch one just like you're talking about though... sight fishing while mudding - classic bone-like. I think the New is my spot for that -- I'm getting used to sneaking up on them -- I just need to find a happy group that's rooting. I'll let you know how it goes! t

Previous

Return to Kayak Fishing