Moderator Control Panel ]

Help for smallies!

Kayak Fishing

Help for smallies!

Postby hh65cdr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Im sorry I wont be on the OBX to fish with my buds this week but I am headed home to see mom who has had a bout with surgery back in TN. I am taking my yak to float some rivers for smallies with my brother. I have never fished for smallies before. Any advice on tactics and flies is much appreciated. Good luck to my flyaker pals this week. Hope you find much needed pullage. :)
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Re: Help for smallies!

Postby mb82 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:56 pm

The Clouser was first tied for smallies.
Zonkers are deadly on the James along with poppers this time of year.
Oh yeah crawfish patterns.
I would think the wiggle minnow should kill them.

On the James Smallies like wood structure, especially trees down along the shoreline. If there are more trees shading the downed tree then even better. Put the fly as close as you can to the wood give the fly a few twitches as it drifts by the structure then start to strip away as it goes past.
In the early morning I target them on sand flats in shallow water when they are preying on baitfish.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:44 pm

Jeff summed up all of the good smallie haunts but I have a few flies for you. Some of my favorites are the Murray's Marauder(also a deadly trout fly if you get a shot at any), Kreelex, and Shenandoah(Carolina) Blue popper. These flies produce most of our smallies up here on the Shenandoah. Best of luck to you and hope your mother has a quick recovery.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby mb82 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:33 am

BCflyfisher2012 wrote:Jeff summed up all of the good smallie haunts but I have a few flies for you. Some of my favorites are the Murray's Marauder(also a deadly trout fly if you get a shot at any), Kreelex, and Shenandoah(Carolina) Blue popper. These flies produce most of our smallies up here on the Shenandoah. Best of luck to you and hope your mother has a quick recovery.

A co-worker of mine caught 75 smallies yesterday on the 'Doah with a carolina blue popper. I still refuse to use one because of the color.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Emerson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Heh guys,

Keep it simple..

For your first time use some green/olive and white clousers.....size #4

top water...sneaky pete...no subs..easy to find..works super...size #4
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby XXXi2 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:37 pm

You really can't go wrong with a crawfish imitation, so long as it's got some movement and you can hop it like a fleeing crayfish. The technique is described here: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tactics/fishing/smallmouth-holschlag/

I tie a variation of Holschlag's pattern and the original is deadly too: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/holschlag-hackle-fly/. I generally find I do better with smaller (sz. 4-6) imitations.

Best of luck!
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby Coach » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Try dead drifting small yellow poppers (#6 & #8) along the shady banks and swinging black or olive wooly buggers (#4) in the runs below large rocks. Also, don't overlook the edges of the nice pools that lie downstream below the larger boulders.

Postby hh65cdr » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for everyones advice. Will be giving the south holston a try tommorrow. Happy 4th to all!
Hope everyone at the OBX is finding pullage!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby woolybugger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Sorry to be late , but I've been out of town for quite a while. Chart. #2 or 4 sneaky pete is my favorite this time of year on upper james. If they aren't on the banks or grass edges, try #2 or 4 black woolybuggers in the deeper runs. Must look like a helgramite to them. I'm new to the clousers for smallmouths, but have had good success a couple of times this year with them. Find a rocky bank, preferably with some shade, moving water, near a deeper run and you will find bass(usually).
Jim C
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Postby Timbo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Or a large black and yellow popper -- very splashy, under the trees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Next

Return to Kayak Fishing