Moderator Control Panel ]

Battery Powered Fishing Yak

Kayak Fishing

Battery Powered Fishing Yak

Postby kendalloz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Just got this link...kayak with built in trolling motor and battery. It is not designed to replace paddling but to supplement it...more range and the ability to move the boat while casting. Weight of yak, motor, and battery is 90 pounds. It is probably bagged glass construction...not sure. Wonder if it has a kill switch so if you fall out it will stop? ;) :D :?:

Re: Battery Powered Fishing Yak

Postby mb82 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 pm

I am not a big fan of the electric boats. It looks like it works well but I don't know if I missed it or they didn't mention it but what is the battery run time?

I guess call me old fashion but I like the challenge of trying to position the kayak in order to get the ideal shot, even if that means I have to think what my boat is going to do 20seconds before I can get that shot.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Good points mb. I think that video is literally the first time out so I guess they don't know the run time. They are working with Lenco (trim tab folks) to come up with a wireless remote so you can hold a fishing rod and control the motor from your wrist. Cool idea but not for the purist yaker. I bet it would be cool to hunt from if the recoil does not flip it. All you have to do is sneak up and hit the "off" switch just before you pull the trig!

Postby mb82 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 pm

kendalloz wrote:Good points mb. I think that video is literally the first time out so I guess they don't know the run time. They are working with Lenco (trim tab folks) to come up with a wireless remote so you can hold a fishing rod and control the motor from your wrist. Cool idea but not for the purist yaker. I bet it would be cool to hunt from if the recoil does not flip it. All you have to do is sneak up and hit the "off" switch just before you pull the trig!

Yeah, but if I wanted a boat to hunt out of I would get the Native Ultimate, if I wanted one with an electric drive system I would get the volt drive for it, basicly a cut down 30lb thrust minnkota trolling motor.

I can't believe I am a purist in something, but I guess I am. I know the research says 50%+ of people wish that their kayaks had a drive system, I never have seen a need for it except maybe fishing the lightline at HRBT but that was part of the challenge to be able to get a few casts into the line before you drifted out.
Jeff G

Postby XXXi2 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:21 pm

:lol: Guess I'm the complete opposite camp.
The only thing "pure" about my kayak fishing is my absolute desire to own a real boat. :?

Don't get me wrong, I exercise plenty, but when I'm on the water, I want to catch fish, not fight the current, the wind, and the waves. Yeah, I'm talking HRBT here. Maybe an anchor system is in the works for next year. Any ideas?
If I want to burn calories, I'll hop on the bike for a few hours. :mrgreen:
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby mb82 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:42 am

XXXi2 wrote::lol: Guess I'm the complete opposite camp.
The only thing "pure" about my kayak fishing is my absolute desire to own a real boat. :?

Don't get me wrong, I exercise plenty, but when I'm on the water, I want to catch fish, not fight the current, the wind, and the waves. Yeah, I'm talking HRBT here. Maybe an anchor system is in the works for next year. Any ideas?
If I want to burn calories, I'll hop on the bike for a few hours. :mrgreen:

I just put an anchor trolly onto my boat a few weeks ago. I will use it at HRBT so when I hook up on a fish I don't drift too far, I plan on throwing it off the boat once I drift out of the pilings.

If you want to see it stop by the shop on Saturday at 4 I am giving another kayak fishing talk and I will have my boat with me.
Jeff G

Postby XXXi2 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 am

I'll prolly be trapped in the library :geek: , but I'll try to stop by.
Either way, we'll catch up in the store or on the water.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby mb82 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:04 am

I will be at the store till 8 so if you want to stop by later you can I will leave the boat in the shop after my talk.
Jeff
Jeff G

Postby XXXi2 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for keepin' her out for us.
We'll have to get out sometime soon.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby mb82 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:52 pm

No problem man. Yeah lets get out once school is done, maybe a get together for tieing.

Oh yeah don't worry about my boss he was just on edge for some reason.
Jeff G

Return to Kayak Fishing