Moderator Control Panel ]

fishing PFD?

Kayak Fishing

fishing PFD?

Postby RickC » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I am considering a kayak fishing PFD, has a bunch of pockets for tackle, tools, etc. Anyone have good/bad experience with these?

Re: fishing PFD?

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 pm

I like mine. I think its an Osprey or something like that. I had to ditch it this year though because I made the mistake of not getting a bright color. Make sure you get a bright one if you plan on using it in the ocean or anywhere near boats.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby hh65cdr » Sat May 01, 2010 12:42 am

Rick I have had the Stohlquist fisherman PFD for 2 years now and though pricey it has held up well. I just looked it over and can not find any wear or rust on it. I fish in salt alot so that says alot for it. MB82 has a real nice one as well but not sure what brand. I believe in a good one if you spend alot of time paddle-fishing. Here it is law to wear one at all times. Here are some good sites to see different ones.

http://www.nrsweb.com/default.asp

http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_prod ... &order=ASC

The NRS Chinook looks pretty nice as well.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby mb82 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 am

Tracy I have the NRS chinook. Dad has it also. I love it. One rule of thumb with PFDs is to put it on and walk around the store looking at other things. If in a few minutes you forget you have it on then it fits right. I put the Chinook on and in about 30 seconds I had forgotten about it. After some prodding from Tracy and my buddy Nathan I bought it.

I like on mine the pocket arrangement along with the reflective tape built into the shoulders along with all the seams, makes me more visible when I am playing at night.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby BlueHeron » Sat May 01, 2010 7:04 pm

As usual, I am a little off the beaten path...
I am very happy with my kokatat Orbit-Tour.
Only one zipper pocket - I use for my waterproof camera.
Everything else is in plano waterproof boxes.
This PFD is a type 5 - meaning it only counts as a PFD if it is worn. (Not easy to put on in the water as it goes over your head.) So I wear it all the time - which is fine because it is comfortable.
It has huge arms spaces so no restriction on arm movement when paddleing or casting. That means it does not support you by being under your arms like most PFD's . Instead it cinches tightly just under your rib cage. Some might find that uncomfortable - the but to me the arm mobility is worth it.
Also had great built in reflective stripes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby mb82 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:21 pm

BlueHeron wrote:As usual, I am a little off the beaten path...
I am very happy with my kokatat Orbit-Tour.
Only one zipper pocket - I use for my waterproof camera.
Everything else is in plano waterproof boxes.
This PFD is a type 5 - meaning it only counts as a PFD if it is worn. (Not easy to put on in the water as it goes over your head.) So I wear it all the time - which is fine because it is comfortable.
It has huge arms spaces so no restriction on arm movement when paddleing or casting. That means it does not support you by being under your arms like most PFD's . Instead it cinches tightly just under your rib cage. Some might find that uncomfortable - the but to me the arm mobility is worth it.
Also had great built in reflective stripes

Good point about the being tight enough to not ride up when you are in the water. Mine is on all the time when I am on the water in my kayak and I generally loosen it up before I put it on, then breath in all the way and tighten as tight as I can get my PFD.

But yeah again Blue Heron you are going at Kayaking differently then us Newbies. BTW do you still have to have a type 3 on your boat with that PFD?
Jeff G

Postby RickC » Thu May 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments. I decided to purchase the NRS Chinook, got a great deal on it. I plan to test it extensively over the holiday weekend :D

One thing I noticed after starting to look at PFDs is how many websites have pictures and videos of guys kayak fishing with no PFD. In the shallow flats I can see that wouldn't be a problem, but some of these guys are out in blue water. All I know is when I am on the kayak, I have a PFD on.

Postby hh65cdr » Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Good choice Rick. US Coast Guard requires a kayaker to have a PFD on at all times and a whistle with you. I dont take mine off unless I beach the yak. Mine is comfortable so it doesnt bother me. Not to mention it holds my flyfishing tools readily.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby mb82 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Great choice, I love mine.
hh65cdr wrote:Good choice Rick. US Coast Guard requires a kayaker to have a PFD on at all times and a whistle with you. I dont take mine off unless I beach the yak. Mine is comfortable so it doesnt bother me. Not to mention it holds my flyfishing tools readily.

Is it on you or on the boat? It does not effect me but a lot of friends don't wear theres if I am not around ( they know better then to go without with me around in fear of a lecture)

I don't understand why people go without one on, some say their PFD is not comfortably or is too hot and I just say spend the $80 and get a new and better one.
Jeff G

Return to Kayak Fishing