Moderator Control Panel ]

Guatemala Sailfish School Report December 11, 12, 13, 2009

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Guatemala Sailfish School Report December 11, 12, 13, 2009

Postby Keysjake » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Guatemala Sailfish School Report
December 11, 12, 13, 2009

:D Greetings from Casa Vieja Lodge in Guatemala:

:D On December ninth I arrived here at the Casa Vieja Lodge to find 82 degree air temperature along with sunshine and calm wind. Michael Cowell, a big game angler from the UK flew in on the same plane and joined me for the ride down from Guatemala City to the lodge. Michael and I have fished in a lot of the same places around the globe for billfish although this was our first meeting. We discussed lots of subjects all of which pertain to catching Marlin and Sailfish, and about our past visits to Casa Vieja Lodge, Michael was coming to Casa Vieja Lodge to fish with a friend aboard Intensity with Captain Mike Sheeder while my first Sailfish School would be aboard Rum Line with Captain Chris Sheeder on the same dates.
On December tenth I worked on the logistics and fly fishing equipment for my up coming sailfish schools, along with the "Jake Jordan, Invitational, Sailfish, Fly, Challenge", which will be held here at the Casa Vieja Lodge on January 12, 13, & 14, 2010.
At about 3:30 PM that afternoon my first group for the upcoming Sailfish School arrived at the lodge. This group consisted of my longtime friend Chuck Furimsky, (Owner of "The Flyfishing Shows") Frank Sujansky, from western Pennsylvania, and my old friend John Randolph, (Editor Emeritus, of Fly fisherman Magazine) . John is gathering data about the system which we teach at my "Sailfish School" for an article on Fly Fishing for Billfish in his Magazine.

Another group of first time visitors to Casa Vieja Lodge also arrived that evening from the airport, this group turned out to be four young men, Seth Hargrave, Brian Leake, Daniel Howard, and Travis Sayler who are all from the Roanoke Rapids area of Eastern NC. All four are friends of some of my good friends from back home in Eastern North Carolina. These anglers were here to fish aboard the Captain Hook with my friend Captain Ron Hamlin. What a small world, this group of anglers had heard all about me and about Casa Vieja Lodge from former Sailfish School graduates who are also from eastern NC. We all posed for this picture in front of the lounge at Casa Vieja Lodge.

Now for the fishing reports!

Fishing in general was pretty slow, during the three days that we spent aboard the Rum Line with Captain Chris Sheeder, the weather was great but there were not lots of Sailfish in the area, and they were hard to tease in close for the fly. My "Sailfish School" group raised a total of 23 sailfish, got 10 to bite the fly, and caught 5 on fly during our 3 days of fly fishing for sailfish. In Guatemala this my slowest three days of fly fishing for sailfish ever during one of my Sailfish Schools, however most places in the world if you catch a sailfish on fly every day , then you did really good!
During the same three days, the North Carolina guys fishing with Captain Ron Hamlin aboard "Finest Kind" (Temporary Captain Hook), raised 15 during the first 2 days and caught 7 along with 8 yellowfin Tuna, I think they caught 4 on their last day here. This was a nice group of anglers who has a great time fishing in these calm, warm, tropical waters with the legendary Captain Ron Hamlin. It was a pleasure to share the Casa Vieja Lodge with these young Carolina anglers.
Mike Cowell fishing with Captain Mike Sheeder aboard "Intensity" also had a great time, with some real good catches for the relatively slow overall fishing. I know that he caught more than a dozen Sailfish and some YFT one day
My friend Danny Cline along with "Sailfish School" student Karl Beutner, will arrive this afternoon for four days of fly fishing for sailfish with me aboard Intensity with Captain Mike Sheeder. It looks like the fishing is on an upswing, and should improve today, Stay tuned for more "Sailfish School" reports from the world class "Casa Vieja Lodge" in Guatemala, wish you were here, I love my Job!
Merry Christmas:
Jake

ImageImage
Captain Jake Jordan
Jake Jordan's Fishing Adventures
PO Box 309
Havelock, NC 28532
252-444-3308 Home/Office
305-872-6060, Cell
http://www.jakejordan.com
Captain Jake Jordan

Re: Guatemala Sailfish School Report December 11, 12, 13, 2009

Postby Emerson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Great report Jake...the pictures are super...

we all cannot wait ...3 months from now!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Re: Guatemala Sailfish School Report December 11, 12, 13, 2009

Postby scarter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks, Jake! Sure helps drive the cold away :mrgreen: Have a great time and Merry Christmas! :D
Smoot
" You can mow the grass if you want to, and you'd better want to.."
Dad

Return to Central America