Moderator Control Panel ]

Go-To Fly

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Go-To Fly

Postby kendalloz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:51 pm

OK. So what is the go-to fly for Guatemala?

Re: Go-To Fly

Postby BlueHeron » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 pm

The big "fly" on the end of a line with no hand on it.
Preferably where the fish can see it.

My experience is limited, but so too is my bias.
What I saw was that these fish come in so hot, they aren't particular about what it looks like. The right size hook probably matters, and using the drag (set with a scale), not your hand, to set the hook really helps.

Looking forward to more experimenting :D :D :D
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby bhorsley » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:41 pm

KO they furnish flies and leaders---if you show up with leaders and such they will cut them off and use their stuff---you are paying for the flies so why not use them. It makes little difference what flies --they like cam seglars and are comfortable with them. we used some old Golfito flies one day--we caught 12 sails --9 on the Golfito flies and 3 on the Cam Seglars---but the Cam Seglars got ate every time they hit the water. Our boat had a good day we raised 40 fish and had 18 bites. Emerson's boat only raised 10 fish but he believed since we had the old Golfito flies on board we raised more fish---so do not buy into Emerson's theory. The flies are included with the price of admission.

They use much smaller hooks than at Golfito---total different deal than than Golfito. Most of the mates have caught over 10000 sails on fly --i think they more about it than us.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Heh B,
I really did not mean that you guys caught more due to having Golfito flies....I was just bustin making excuses......the fish we had come in..ate the Cam Seglers...we got some... you guys just had a super day and had a lot more come in to the spread... we had a better day the day before.... but that is just fishing.. mojo thing.....it goes around..if we would have used Golfito flies that 2nd day it would have been the same result...

here is what I will be using....

the one they have perfectly tied, perfectly setup..no problem..

I really liked going there with out the pressure of..Do I have the right fly, Did I make it correctly, Are my leaders Ok..and so on...this trip is great for that!!!...and other things.. :) :) :) :)
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby bhorsley » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 pm

:P :D ;)
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby TLT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:48 pm

ME EXCITED :!:

Return to Central America