Moderator Control Panel ]

Pesca Maya report

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Pesca Maya report

Postby Todd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:16 am

I was able to fish three days last week at Pesca Maya Lodge in the Mexican Yucatan as part of a family vacation. I'll spare all the details, but this is a great place to fish for bonefish, permit and a bunch of other things. I fished out of a 24 foot panga with a guide, Henry, and an assistant, Miguel. They were both fantastic.

On day one, I hooked a nice snook of about 10 pounds right off the bat. After getting him on the reel, the barbless tarpon fly came unbuttoned. I told Henry I would have nightmares about losing that fish. I got a couple of small bonefish and had a tiny jack eat a fly cast to several small permit along a mangrove shoreline. We then went to a sand flat to chase permit.

The preferred permit method at Pesca Maya is to stalk on foot. Typically, Miguel would wade with me while Henry remained on the poling platform looking for fish. You can get pretty close on foot without spooking the fish. After a good number of shots, I finally got a follow. That was exciting. Following a lunch break, Henry spotted a single and then small school of permit. Miguel and I got out of the panga to stalk. I made a good cast (for me) and had several fish follow the fly. The smallest of the fish ate a size 4 tan Raghead. I have never been as nervous while fighting a fish, but I did catch my first permit ever.

We spent about an hour looking for tarpon to complete the slam, but never saw one. We looked deep in the mangroves and out in the ocean.

Day two started slow. We got a couple of bonefish and went on a long ride north looking for permit. Once we arrived, the cloudy water and intermittent sun made spotting fish difficult. That is until we saw a big sickle tail pop up in one of the bays. While Henry poled across the flat trying to find the fish, I spotted a dark shape swimming parallel to the magroves a couple hundred feet ahead of us. Henry said it was probably a ray or barracuda. After looking unsuccessfully for the permit, Henry poled the panga to intercept the shadow. When he excitedly whispered "robalo," Miguel handed me the tarpon/snook rod rigged with a chartreuse half and half. I made one cast too far ahead of the fish and then a second right in front of it. Two strips later, the fish absolutely destroyed the fly. After a tense fish with plenty of chances to lose the fish, she was close to the panga. Henry instructed Miguel to get in the water with the net. None of use realized how big she was until only a third of the fish fit in the net.

Henry was very excited about the fish, saying it was his biggest snook -- around 25 pounds. We all took photos with the fish, and Henry told me I could now forget about the one we lost the first day. The rest of the day was relatively uneventful.

On day 3, the wind really picked up. Henry was awesome at giving me the best shots possible under the circumstances. We focussed more on bonefish than on previous days, and finally cracked to code with a Yucatan Special. Late in the day, a permit popped up about 40 feet in front of us. It stuck around while we switched rods and let me make a bunch of casts as Henry stayed on top of it. After multiple fly changes, it disappeared.

Last bonefish:

This part of the world is probably as fishy a place as I have ever seen. The lodge is situated right on the ocean, and there are jacks, barracuda, snapper, bonefish, tarpon and permit all out your front door. It was too rough and windy to fly fish from the beach, but I caught a 10 pound jack and similar sized cuda on a spinning rod. On the last night, I caught a mutton snapper and 3 other kinds of snapper plus a bonefish, all on a white bucktail jig and all just in front of the lodge.

Panga:

Tarpon hunt:

Out the front door:

Re: Pesca Maya report

Postby GaryF » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Way to go Todd! Beautiful Snook - so glad you got the elusive Permit too. Great time!
If people concentrated on really important things in life, thereā€™d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson

Postby bhorsley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 pm

awesome report -jealous about your snook---nice fish
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby KnotCase » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Pretty work Todd!
"You may attend a party where strange customs prevail."
- Fortune Cookie

Postby Emerson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

Todd,
Fantastic report. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Major congrats on your monster snook and the super tough permit! :D

Thanks for sharing!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby kendalloz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Postby flyinby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Beautiful fish! Congrats on the permit, too!

Return to Central America