Moderator Control Panel ]

Cabo San Lucas

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Cabo San Lucas

Postby generalfly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm

I am heading to Cabo San Lucas in late May this year for a wedding. I would like to take a fly rod to really make the trip worthwhile, but I don't know too much about the area.

I know the billfishing and inshore catch can be amazing, however I will be on a budget while I'm there. Please forgive the sheer ignorance of my question, but is there any feasible wade fishing to be had in the area with a fly rod?

Via Google Maps, there seems to be a fair amount of structure at the cliff/beach margins. But I don't know if the topography makes these areas inaccessible. The jetties on either side of the marina look decent, but I'm not sure if any of these areas are off limits, or the extent of the private beach areas for that matter.

It seems my best bet might be renting a kayak and going from there. Any insight into the area would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Cabo San Lucas

Postby bhorsley » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm

sorry no help here--we fish 3 hrs north in the sea of cortez

a hint on packing --have a way to check you fly rod on the return trip home--many times they will not let you carry it on returning home--trust me
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby generalfly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks a million for the travel tip. I absolutely would have tried to carry it on. Much appreciated.

Will assume the same goes for the reels and flies.

Postby bhorsley » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm

yes it does--most time you can carry them on going down and sometimes going back ---been there 10 times and most of the time you need the check fishing tackle going back into the states
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby bhorsley » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm

post your question on Dan Blantons board lots of guy form Cal go down there
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to Central America