Moderator Control Panel ]

Nosara, Costa Rica

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Nosara, Costa Rica

Postby Junebug » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:56 am

Happy NewYear to everyone! For you world travelers, I need some advice for a trip I'm taking next month.

I'm going with a large group to the Nosara area of Costa Rice, on the NW coast. I'll be on a boat offshore for a half day trip, so I know that will be a trolling trip. :| I am interested in doing some surf fishing and probably a trip in the nearby river for snook or whatever else may be available. Has anyone on this forum ever fished in this area? What can I expect surf fishing or in the river? Any suggestions on type of flies. I need to start tying! :)

Also, we'll probably have one carry on bag each, and I'd like to take a rod case. Will the airline (Delta) allow that in addition to the carry on?
Suggestions on rods? I have every rod from a five wgt to 12 wgt except an eleven.. I was thiking an 8 or 8/9 and a 10 wgt.

Thanks in advance.

Junebug

Re: Nosara, Costa Rica

Postby Junebug » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I need some help guys!

My trio to Costa Rica is in about three weeks and I'm really not sure what rods / flies to take with me. I expect to try some surf fishing, and maybe a trip in the mouth of the Nosara river one day. I have heard there are lots of snook, but don't know about anything else. This will be on the upper west coast of CR. I'm going out with some other guys offshore on a half day trip, and that will not be fly fishing. Maybe sail?

My questions revolve around what rod's/lines to take and appropiate flies.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

Postby Emerson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:11 am

Junebug.....a bunch of us here have been to SW Costa Rica but only on the big boats for sails. Now some did bring small rods to cast from shore. I believe the small rods were 8 weights with a floating line. The flies were just general...closers, crease flies just a small bag. We never tried snook there.
You could? take the rod as a carry-on additional...usually no problem going. Coming home is a different story. Most central American countries will not allow line on a reel when returning..that goes for spinning or fly! Sometimes they let the rods to be carry on go, other times not. Not worth the try since you will be at airport and your checked bag will already be on the way to the plane!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Junebug » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am

Emerson,

Thanks for the comments. I think! :?

Are you saying that even if I put my reels in checked baggage that I have to remove all line from the spools? If so, can you still carry the line, as in ziplock bags? Also, regarding the rods; that they may not allow them as carry on and since it's too late to check them, I might have to leave them there? That's not good. :x Does this all happen at the security check-in or at the airline boarding area? I'm flying on Delta for what it's worth.

Thaks.

Joe

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 pm

A reel with line on it is OK as carry-on going down, but NOT returning.
Fine in checked baggage either way.
I have taken mine in carry on when going down, so that if my checked bag gets lost, the trip is not lost.
but strongly advise checking them coming back.

Rods are usually OK as carry on in both directions, but have seen one problem at security with rods for the return trip. (That was guatemala, a very suspect looking fellow, and some bozo in the balcony taking pictures of the security operation didn;t make them happy either :o ) Not worth risking the aggrevation, so I treat them like my reels and check for the retrun trip.

Have fun
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Postby Junebug » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm getting ready! And time is getting short! :D I bought a four piece 8 weight rod today from Bass Pro that fits in our baggage just fine. Hopefuilly, this will eliminate any of my preceived problems regarding security issues, as long as the bag doesn't get lost, or worse.

In a discussion earlier today, the issue of a fishing license came up. Will I be required to have one in Costa Rica if I'm not fishing with a guide?

Getting ready to tie up some deceivers, crerase flies, clousers, etc.

Thanks all for your help.

Joe

Postby Emerson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes...I know we had them for fishing on a guided boat so I would guess that you would need them as well. The outfit we stayed with provided the license so I do not know how to obtain one. However, a quick Google will probably get you the info.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Junebug » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Emerson wrote:Yes...I know we had them for fishing on a guided boat so I would guess that you would need them as well. The outfit we stayed with provided the license so I do not know how to obtain one. However, a quick Google will probably get you the info.

Dang! One more little detail to attend to. I'll let you know what I find out!

Joe

Postby Junebug » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 pm

We got home from our trip to Costa Rica late last Sunday night. It wsa pretty tough leaving beautiful sunny days with temps around 85 degrees and no humidity with light winds. Our villa was about a ten minute drive via golf cats to the surfing beach. That was beautiful, but it didn't provide much of an opurtunity to fly fish. The beach had a very gradual slope and before you could get to thigh deep water the breakers would just about knock you over. I did go off shore fishing one day. As soon as we got on the boat my "buddies" said they wanted to fish for food. That meant anchoring in 200 feet and bottom fishing for grouper. I did not consider that much fun, to say the least.

I had been in touch with a guide who rented kayaks at the mouth of the only nearby river prior to going down. When I called him about our prospects on the river, I got some bad news. There had been a "red tide" in close to the shore and had come up the river at high tides. He said the locals who usually fish the mouth of the river with handlines had not caught anything for the past week. I had been really anxious to catch some snook, mangrove snapper, and anything else that might be available, but nothing was being caught. He suggested I wait until Friday and give it a try late in the afternoon. We went up the river around 3:30 Friday and I was really pumped with the thought of hooking into my first snook. The mangrove looked so fishy, How could I miss? Well, to make a long story short, the fishing reorts were correct. I finally had a small strike on a black popper, but no hook-up.

The river looked great, the birds, iguana in the trees, big blue butterflies, and finally the sunset over the Pacific made the trip worthwhile. But no fish! :(

Return to Central America