Moderator Control Panel ]

Ambergris Caye, Belize

Costa Rica - Belize - Guatamala - etc.

Ambergris Caye, Belize

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Just got back last night from 10 days of "class" in Belize. Most of my time was spent snorkeling but we were given 2 free days that I took advantage of. On one I decided to dive Blue Hole which turned out to be an incredible experience and on the other day, I decided to go fishing. After talking with my snorkeling boat captain, I decided to go with Omar's Freelance Fishing for my guide as this was the brother of my captain and had a pretty reasonable rate. Booked my trip for the morning of Friday the 13th and when it started it looked as though I was in for some bad luck. A north wind had blown in overnight and the skies were overcast with a nice breeze blowing with made me nervous right off the bat. Then, my guide showed up 30min late because the gas station had watered down their gas so he had a few engine issues to work out before he could pick me up. When we finally got on the water, the overcast skies made it hard for us to see any tarpon so we moved over against some mangroves along Mosquito Caye where I landed the first fish and broke the curse. Caught a small Mangrove Snapper here and missed the hookset on a nice Snook. As we continued around the island, we found two small tarpon sitting in the mangroves and so I took a shot. Placed the fly in front of the fish exactly as my guide instructed 3 times.....nothing, so we finally gave up and moved off the island a little. First blind cast in our new location I hooked up with a small tarpon who jumped 2x and then spit the hook. Wrapped the morning up with some bonefishing and managed to catch not only my 1st ever bonefish but numbers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10 as well within a two hour period. (We found a school of roughly 100 or more and went to town). All in all it was a great day and I am hooked on bonefish and tarpon now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Ambergris Caye, Belize

Postby Emerson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Major congrats!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Cutter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Very cool. Nice job. I went to Ambergris on my honeymoon 18 years ago :shock: and caught my first bonefish. Back then I could barely cast 30' on a calm day (now I can do 40). I got the idea I could spend years exploring that place. The Blue Hole is cool too. When are you going back?
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks All. I am hopefully going back down there as soon as possible. My plan is to head back down there and live for a few years if I don't get into graduate school. The guy in the local fly shop told me he was a man short and planning on opening a new store so hopefully I could work there :D
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby mb82 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:06 am

Cool man
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby XXXi2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 am

Awesome. Congrats on your first bonefish.
Gotta love Belize: rafts of bones sitting on the edge of the flats, big cudas waiting on the ocean side, tarpon, permit, and tons of other species for the taking.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Return to Central America