Moderator Control Panel ]

Newbie has some basic questions about fly fishing in OBX

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Newbie has some basic questions about fly fishing in OBX

Postby obxetc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Relatively new to fly fishing. I have been a few times in WVA and really enjoyed it. I was talking to a buddy of mine who mentioned that more and more people are fly fishing in the ocean. I had never heard of this before. As a newbie, I have several questions I hope you all can help me with.

Is all ocean fly fishing done in the sound or can you actually fly fish in the surf?

What are the best times of the year to fly fish in the ocean and what are the best times of day?

Are there any good spots in corolla to fly fish?

How does it differ from traditional fly fishing?

Any help you can give me or links to articles or other forum replies that answer these questions would be appreciated.

Re: Newbie has some basic questions about fly fishing in OBX

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Welcome to the addiction of fly fishing. Yes fly fishing can be done in the surf and it is quite exciting. Around Corolla I would recommend just heading out into the surf wherever you see a hole and giving it a shot. You may also want to try up on the 4WD section of beach. I hope this information helps and I am going to defer the other questions to those who have done this longer than I.

good luck and let me know if you find any awesome spots in the Corolla area.

Brad
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26

that questions will fill books. There is lots of good info on this site so check it out and ask questions
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby obxetc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:12 am

Good stuff. Thanks for the links.

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:40 am

If we have a good west wind the surf tends to lay down and make surf flyfishing easier. Took me a few times to catch on to that. Welcome aboard.
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby lwflyrod » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 pm

BCflyfisher2012 and Myself were Rookies at this Saltwater Flyfishing stuff in the OBX 2 years ago. (We live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) (no surf up here)
The links the Boss gave you and Just reading this board will help like you would never imagine. Read a bunch of the old threads they are really really good info about it.
Most of what we learned was from those links, the posts on the board and The great group of guys who stalk this board, Last year we had our firsts on fly in the salt from both Yak and Surf, Thanks to help from all here.
Everything from Gear to Where to go to fly patterns etc you will find here.
Most of the people on the board are not shy and are willing to help.
I found the board 30x better more informative about their sport and friendlier then 2 local Trout unlimited clubs in our area.
Good luck and Enjoy
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Return to The Rookie Room