Moderator Control Panel ]

Outboard Motor Life

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Outboard Motor Life

Postby Pigpen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 am

As I get closer to buying a bay boat (thanks for all the feedback on my last post), I am trying to get a sense of a reasonable life for an outboard in salt. How many hours can you reasonably expect to get out of a motor? In other words, if I buy a 2003 bay boat with 250 hours on the motor, how many more hours/years will it have left?

Any thoughts form the experienced boat owners?

Thanks!

Re: Outboard Motor Life

Postby bhorsley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:52 pm

it depends on the maintenance he has done--i.e.--does he use ring free, high quality oil, changing lower unit oil, water separator filter ( do not believe bs about all are the same) I typically get somewhere between 2000 and 2400 hours before they start getting funky. But we typically get twice as many hours as most people--motors do better if they are run often.
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Keysjake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

For years I sold my 2 stroke engines after they reached between 1000 and 1500 hours and replaced them with new (under warranty) motors. Many of the old motors which came off of my charter boats in the past are still running with over 2000 hours.

That said the new 4 stroke Yamaha Motors, especially the 150, if serviced regularly along with changing the water seperator filter and the filter inside of the cowling, and using fule treatment to protect against the ethinol in the gasoline, are just getting broken in at 4000 hours. I talked to a Yamaha tech rep at the miami boat show who talked about commercial applications where some F-150 yamaha's are still working daily with over 7000 hours.

As Brian said, used motors are reflective of the person who they belonged to and how they were maintained. Take it to a reputible mechanic to have it checked out if possible, and always do a long in water "Test Run" preferably in rough water before buying a used boat or motor.
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby walterg213 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm

We have Utitlity boats come in with over 5000 hours and are still running like a top.You will have no issues...

Postby Cutter » Sun May 02, 2010 8:52 pm

MAINTENANCE Everything dies in salt unless it is cared for. 250 hrs is nothing if well taken care of, a lifetime if abused.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby walterg213 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 am

Agree with cutter, change that fuel water sep, add your stabilizer and flush those puppys out

Return to The Rookie Room