Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly sizes

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Fly sizes

Postby Biff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 pm

As a recovering bassaholic, my innate tendency toward 1/0 and 4/0 tru turns in soft plastic leaves me even more clueless than usual as it comes time to stock a box. I'm pretty sure my #16 copper Johns and parachute Adams and black ants aren't going to do a lot for the future puppy drum and trout around Rhodom's or Long Point or behind the light house either. I expect to grab some clousers, shrimp patterns, crabs and others before I return to tying much again after a post pubescent break. So any suggestions about patterns and appropriate sizes would help. I'll be throwing an 8wt. with IM line or possibly regular WF with a fluoro leader. TIA
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Re: Fly sizes

Postby Siessmack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

For clousers sizes 4-1/0. I generally use a 2 or 1. I've thrown big Deceivers on 3/0s around the obx and caught fish on them, though the hook maybe be a little oversized.

Re: Fly sizes

Postby SemperFly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I agree with Siessmack: size 4 -1/0 is what you want to be throwing most of the time. In the right circumstances, maybe..... up to a 2/0 but no larger.

Return to The Rookie Room