Moderator Control Panel ]

Line to leader connectors

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Line to leader connectors

Postby 19mko » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm

I had a good post about line to leader connectors bookmarked from the old forum, but can't seem to pull it up. What's everyone using for line to leader connections and any good recipes for homemade leaders? I would mostly be interested in fishing for speckled trout, blues, rock, and spanish mackerel. Also, any recommendations on a good 8wt intermediate sinking line. Thanks in advance.

Re: Line to leader connectors

Postby bhorsley » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 pm

inshore fly lines i just bend a loop in the fly line and secure with tow nail knots tied with 8 pound mono---works very well and simple.

some people just use 6 feet of straight 20 pound mono--it will work but a tapered leader will cast better--to me
here is simple formula a version of Lefty's
6'of 40#; 2' of 30#; 1.5'of 20#;

We are Rio pro staff so we use Rio lines and i really feel they are some of the best and VERY progressive.
Warm water trout and such i use Rio Tropical Intermediate--and these lines come with welded loops already in them!

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=102
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby 19mko » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 pm

What would be the best knot for connecting the different sections on mono for the leader? A blood knot?

Postby bhorsley » Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

bllod knot is fine or a UNI knont
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room