Moderator Control Panel ]

Flats Boat or Bay Boat?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Flats Boat or Bay Boat?

Postby Pigpen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm

I am struggling with what type of boat to get (if any). Ultimately, I want to fly fish flats and inland, but I need to be able to do a couple things:

1. Keep a wife and 5 year old daughter interested (they'll fish conventional tackle for now).
2. Do things other than fishing (such as runs in the flats for wildlife, camping, occasionally pull a tube, etc.).
3. Occasionally head out of the inlets if the weather is right.

I keep leaning toward an 18' Redfisher, but have also wondered about the possiblity of using a 22' or 24' Pathfinder and just wading the flats after getting close in the Pathfinder. My wife get's seasick easily, so I don't need anything to handle bigger water - we'll never get in it.

I am sure there are lots of opinions out there (though I couldn't find any in a search), so I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!

Re: Flats Boat or Bay Boat?

Postby bhorsley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 pm

bay boat--better use of space
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby WVUFINSNFLIES » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

-We have a 22' Pathfinder XLTE just purchased which we use in the Keys alot. We have done everything from tarpon fish to catch sails 3 miles off Islamorada in 3-5 chop in that boat to dive wrecks around the middley keys. If you are looking for a family boat that would be my suggestion, rather a strictly fishing boat go with a Maverick (having fished on a HPX17 recently in the Everglades). THe Maverick is a tiny boat compared to the Pathfinder. Do know its a fishing machine though.... I am not sure how well if would pull a tube. The Pathfinder you could pull a tube because you can add some real power to it. Our boat has a 250 Yamaha on it and it runs like a cheetah across the flats and draft is not compromised.....
-We had a friend who used to live in NagsHead who ran a 22 Pathfinder XL and we fished the hell out of that boat from stripers along the beach all the way out to Tower C on a very calm down one summer until he moved up to a larger offshore pathfinder model. All-in-all Pathfinder makes a great boat and is worth paying extra for it!

I hope this helps your decision....

Good Luck to you!

Postby Pigpen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks guys - great information. Now to find the funds!

Return to The Rookie Room