Moderator Control Panel ]

OBX Fly Fishing line question

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

OBX Fly Fishing line question

Postby CaptainDan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I read the post below about flats fishing in the Outer Banks area and have a few questions. I am an experienced freshwater fly fisherman but have been trying to catch fish in salt water for years with little success. I have tried sinking lines and sink tip lines and found them extremely difficult to work with especially since you have to do the roll cast just to get your line out of the water before re-casting. I think at this point if I want to fish deep water I will do so with conventional tackle at least until I get more experience with saltwater fly fishing.

So the question is what is the ideal fly line to use for speckled trout or drum fishing in these situations:

Wading Flats like Bodie and Propellar Slough
Fishing flats or the grass beds from a Carolina skiff
Fly Fishing in the surf

I have fished in the above situations/areas for speckled trout for the last 5 years or so with conventional tackle and done well using grubs and mirro lures but have had a hard time figuring out what to use for fly fishing. I caught my first fish over 20" this spring (22-23" or so) plus a couple of other nice ones on Mirro Lures lures off of the beach but nothing so far with the fly rod. Currently I have an Orvis mid flex 8 weight salt water rod and a Ross Cimmaron C4 reel with SA Redfish taper floating line. I am planning on using sinking streamers like clausers and deceviers and have a number of different colors and patterns but made sure to pick up a bunch of green and white patterns. In the other post one guy said an intermediate line is ideal for this kind of fishing but another guy said floating line is OK (especially with weighted flies) since you will only be fishing in a few feet of water. I'm planning on using a 9' or 12' leader per the post as well and a 2'-3' tippet.

I was thinking about getting the SA Striper taper or the Streamer taper line for my other spool for the intermediate sinking line. Has anyone used either of these with any success? Also, what grain and density/sink rate works best for the intermediate line? I'll be in town this weekend and will be fishing the surf, wading the sound and possibly going out in the sound in a Carolina Skiff. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Last edited by CaptainDan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: OBX Fly Fishing line question

Postby lwflyrod » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 am

Dont feel bad about the little success, Bcflyfisher and I have been trying to catch something of fly in the OBX for 2 years now and well this year we finally had success.

Bcflyfisher and I are only a couple of years at this saltwater flyfishing thing too. But we have had really really good success this year. Mainly thanks to this Board. We geared up by reading alot of the posts here and with help from Harry Murray at Murrays flyshop to obtain most of our gear (our local shop).

BCflyfisher uses the SA Striper on his 10wt it was good but he could tell you more, He also has a teenie. I personally thought the SA Striper didnt get down fast enough, especially in the surf. but worked ok when we were kayaking around the inlet with tracy and mb82. ( I didnt use it much, he used it quite a bit.)
Thing I really noticed about the SA Striper is it held memory in coils, that was a pain, and took a long time to get down where you needed it.
(Now thats my opinion)

I use a SA Wet tip 2.5-4.25 ips wf-7-fs for my 7wt Scott it worked great getting down and into the water columns. I used it in the surf this summer, kayaking around OI with Tracy and mb82 and on our trip this summer with Flygirl for Spanish, blues, moonfish/lookdowns. BC flyfisher also put the same line on his 6wt. Does equal duty here on the Shendandoah for Smallies and at the Beach for whatever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby bhorsley » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 am

floater will fine along as you do not get into a lot of current. I use 10' leaders on my floaters

welcome aboard
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby CaptainDan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:59 pm

bhorsley wrote:floater will fine along as you do not get into a lot of current. I use 10' leaders on my floaters

welcome aboard

Cool - I'll just use the Redfish taper for now and look at using an intermediate line later for deeper water.

Two other quick questions about leaders and tippets for spec/redfish action in the flats:

1. Do you recommend using the heat shrink/inchworm type of flyline to leader connectors or are you better off with a heavy piece of leader with a loop at the end? I had a guy at a local fly shop tie the latter on the end of my line for saltwater a while back and he said the heat shrink connectors may not be strong enough for salt water especially if you hook into a big fish (like a gator speck or a larger drum or striper). I'd hate to lose a big fish because of a bad connection (been there, done that).

2. What pound leader and tippet material is typically used for spec./puppy drum fly fishing? I'm thinking 12 pound should do the trick but is there any reason to go any heavier than that? Should the leader and tippet be the same pound test?

3. Assuming I use a 9', 10' or 12' leader, how long of a tippet do you usually need? I would usually rig up a 2' to 3' tippet for this situation - is that about right? Also, is fluorocarbon tippet material recommended?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Postby Cutter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Dan,

If you want to jumpstart the learning curve, book a trip with the Boss or Flygirl. You will see it done right and have a captive teacher for a few hours. You are also likely to catch some fish and guaranteed to have a hell of a good time.

Not a paid announcement, just the advice of a pupil who is a much better fisherman for knowing them. Good luck, it is fun. :D
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby CaptainDan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:49 pm

I've always wanted to book a trip but I'm a bit broke at the moment. Unfortunately, I work for home builders and my business is a little slow right now.

Thanks,

Dan

Postby pmaxwell » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:54 pm

The alternative to the guided day is one of Brian and Sarah's weekend schools. It is a fantastic way to spend the weekend, and an insane bargain for what you get out of it.

Postby CaptainDan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Is there a post or a primer somewhere on this forum that describes the ideal leader/tippet setup for speck/puppy drum fishing in the OBX? I just need some basic information for now per my last post above (leader/tippet pound test). I may consider the class down the road a bit on a future visit.

Thanks,

Dan

Postby meatstick » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:28 am

Dan, with a floating line: 30 lb (3ft) 20lb (3ft) 16 lb (3ft) ... sections connected with double-surgeons knots. Fly attached with Uni-knot.

Intermediate line: can be shorter.

Full sinking integrated head: 4 foot straight piece of 20 lb.

End of fly line: Fold the line back onto itself and secure with two nail knots ... spaced about 1/8 inch apart... forming a loop of about 1.25 inches long. Tie a perfection loop in the end of the leader, and attach to the fly line with a loop-2-loop connection. You can use the pre-made braided mono loops, but "do not" (do not) use the shrink tubing to secure it. Use a nail knot to secure it. Saltwater fish laugh at the shrink tubing.

Return to The Rookie Room