Moderator Control Panel ]

Sage 1000 series fly reel

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Sage 1000 series fly reel

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 am

Hello all,

I hope those who traveled to Baja had a great time and I am loving all of the pictures.

I am currently in the market for a new reel for my 6wt that I use for bass (I fried my other reel this summer because I took it surf fishing thinking it was anodized...apparently it wasnt :cry: ) but also would work on a 7wt which I am looking at purchasing as a lighter option for the salt than my 10wt. Does anyone know if the Sage 1680 is anodized and if it is a worthwhile purchase?

Also any recommendations for a good 7wt that I can pick up for under 200?

Thanks

Bradley
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Sage 1000 series fly reel

Postby bhorsley » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:12 pm

unfortunately the 100 series is not. I had three of them and did not was them at all--they worked great caught lots of albies on them--but the finished bubbled up. Who knows if i would of taken care of them like a normal person.

I also have the 3800CF and it is light and tough--but it retails for 260.00
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby BionicSenior » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Check out the Galvan Rush R-6. I have one on my 6 wt. which I use for smallmouth and for light salt. Only had it a year but no problem so far. Black anodized finish and same drag as their higher priced reels. I picked mine up for $150 new on an auction site but I think the MSRP is $260.
:D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<'(((((><

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 pm

thanks guys. I'll check them out.
anyone ever heard of a brand called sonik? I found them while researching and dont know anything about them
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Return to The Rookie Room