Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly Fishing Internationally

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Fly Fishing Internationally

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:22 am

One of the classes I am taking this year in school involves a 2 week trip to Italy and Greece. In my free time, I am hoping to sneak in a little fishing time. Has anyone been to these countries before and know what I can expect fishing along the coast or in the local rivers? I looked up license regulations and I do not need one in Italy so I will definitely be fishing there and Greece I am having trouble locating info on. The other question that I would like to raise is about transporting flies through customs. Since I am a huge fan of the clouser, I plan on taking a few with me and was wondering if the deer hair used would pose any problems in customs. I will admit that I am good at hiding things from customs agents but last time I almost got busted so I dont want to push my luck again. How do those of you who travel out of the country with flies get them through customs?

Thanks for the help and I am sure I will come up with some new questions about this before I leave in Janurary.

bradley
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Fly Fishing Internationally

Postby Emerson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:58 am

I have heard that you can take trout flies through but it really is at the discretion of the checker! (That is within the US) With larger flies...I always have them in my checked bags. It can be such a pain, it is not worth trying to 'sneak' anything through. When in Costa Rica one of our guys got stopped for having poppers..no hooks. His entire bag was sealed and sent off to be checked...huge pain.I had the same poppers with me and I made it through. Next time I went...all poppers in my checked bag,,,you never know!

Reels....you can take them out of the country in your carry on bag but lots of countries will not let you carry them on going back. In Guatemala they would not even allow my home made camera leash...a piece of 100 lb leader.

The huge problem is that when they say no...it is final and then you must check them...which means going back through all of the lines and checks and putting them into something since your other bags are long gone. In the US you might be able to get them back and stick the flies in but in a foreign country...no way!

Bottom line....I would check all flies.
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby 9ft4wt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am

ditto what Emerson said. It ain't worth the risk or the hassle or a fight you can't win.

i ran into this problem flying back from LAX this summer: I have always carried my 4-piece rods and reels on board as a carry on. they are in the padded tubes that have the reel pouch. I usually have three or four and strap them all together with velcro as a single carry on. Never had any problems.

When we were turning in our checked bags, the guy at the counter saw the rods over my shoulder. He said you can't check those like that. You need to separate them and they each count as a separate piece of checked luggage. You already checked one extra bag and so it will be $100 each for the first three rods and $200 for the fourth.

I told him it was going to be a carry on. He said you will never get through security. I asked if he minded if i tried. He said sure: It is your time you are wasting. You will be back and have your credit card out when you show up.

Fortunatley, I had no problems at security but I learned my lesson. and that was only a domestic flight.

I have never been to italy, but a friend did a bike tour there a few years ago. He said they were crossing through a mountain pass following a river and there were lots of bridges. He said he looked over several of the bridges and the stream was chock full of brown trout.

Have a great safe trip

9ft4wt

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks guys. Im thinking I'll just put it all in my suitcase and pack a little lighter. I probably won't make it to the mountians to visit those browns but that image sure sounded pretty. Might have to venture back sometime and check out the country specifically for fishing.

Thanks again.

bradley
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby pmaxwell » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Emerson,
Are you checking everything on this trip? I thing I'm checking everything but rods.

Postby Emerson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Pete,
I have my rods in my duffle bag...getting checked. I have my reels in my carry-on.....for going. Coming back.....most stuff goes in my duffle!
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Siessmack » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Has nothing to do with fishing but my ex girlfriend freaked out when she went to Greece because they apparently don't have condiments there! (She's a little addicted to ketchup) Might want to pack some Heinz

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:47 pm

interesting fact. I failed to notice that on my last adventure there but I plan on looking far and wide to find out why that is when i go.
Bradley

Postby Piscator » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 am

I've never had a big problem taking 4-piece rods through security (even the last couple years), i've only been briefly questioned as to the contents, and the respose was enough to satisfy their curiosity. Flies, as everyone has said, definately check. Regulations these days greatly frown upon ANY pointy metal object in your posession while on the plane. I've gotten burned a couple times over the years forgetting about small scissors either in my gear or shaving kit. Sometimes they noticed and removed them, sometimes they missed, but it's a gamble with a $10 or more pair of scissors. To lose an entire fly box before even getting to the water would put quite a damper on the trip I am sure.

I havn't had the pleasure of fly fishing in southern Europe yet. I've been through Italy a few times, but never with a rod at hand. Don't forget to take in the sights and setting too. It's easy to get focused on a small bit of water and miss the ancient ruins or medieval village right behind you. Congratulations on the great opportunity, both travel and fishing wise. I for one am looking forward to hearing the details and seeing some pictures.

Cheers!

Return to The Rookie Room