Moderator Control Panel ]

Tandem Rules?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Re: Tandem Rules?

Postby meatstick » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Pete, you stole my thunder ... I was just about to post the exact some thing.

Mummert is also a great proponent of throwing a crease fly on a sinking line.

Postby Emerson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:56 pm

If I am not mistaken, I think that Joe Blado had invented the crease fly initially as an underwater fly!
expelled by el Compressor

Postby 9ft4wt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 am

I throw tandem rigs when I am surf fishing or wade fishing in the salt about half the time. But I am definetly not an expert on saltwater fishing. Got a whole lot to learn myslef.

I think i use the tandem rig because of my trout fishing experience.

Typically, though I put the larger fly on with a loop knot, tie a dropper at the bend with a clinch and tie on the smaller fly with a loop knot.

The dropper is about 12-15 inches long and usually either 8 or 10 pound tippet.

I like the tandem rig for searching. Most hits seem to come on the smaller fly, but I get enough on the lead fly to make it seem worthwhile to me.

I don't use the tandem rig when there is a lot of salad in the surf, when I get into a school of toothy critters or if i am fishing a lot of grass beds.

I have from time to time used a dropper off a popper or a crease fly when fishing over grass. I adjust the length as best i can so that the smaller fly clears the tops of the grass.

I keep sayng that one of these days i am going to rig the tandem flys like the bucktail combos, the spinning guys throw.

Take all this with a grain of salt cause like i said I am certainly not an expert.

Return to The Rookie Room