Moderator Control Panel ]

Tandem Rules?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Tandem Rules?

Postby Piscator » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Now that it's been made clear that tandem flies in saltwater aren't taboo. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a couple matters:

- I generally use an improved clinch tied to the hook bend of the head fly for my freshwater rigs, is that the best setup for a saltwater rig? Specifically i'm thinking about longer streamers such as a clouser or deciever being quite restricted as a head tandem-fly with a dropper line dragging behind. Not to mention the problems created by a toothy fish hitting the head fly. Instead, would it be better to attach the dropper line ahead of the knot on the first fly, so as to not restrict it's movement?

- Excepting tandem rigs where there is significant difference in fly size (small following large to facilitate easier casting or small followed by large to imitate predation), if you are throwing two similar flies (say two streamers of different color combinations) would you stick your higher confidence pattern in front or back? It has always seemed to me that the dropper fly tends to get hit more based purely on it's position. So, hedge your bets by putting the questionable fly in the dropper position, or vice versa?

Bloody thesis... still havn't had a chance to come back down to the coast yet. I'm chomping at the bit reading recent reports. At least I can hopefully make it down some in October. Best of luck and tight lines to everyone in the meantime!

Re: Tandem Rules?

Postby bhorsley » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:07 pm

never used tandem flies in salt. looking forward to your reports. In october i would think about going to Cape Lookout and fishing the hooks. YOu can get a ferry form HIFC for 10 bucks
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:27 am

Woody asked at our last Outer banks fly casters meeting wheather this was ethical or not? I say its done all the time in fresh water. I dont like it in fresh water because my midge always grabs algae and junk off the bottom pulling my dry fly under! Lots of cool new saltwater ideas out there. I just have not needed to try it yet. Im sure I will!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Postby Emerson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:36 am

I have used sort of a tandem...when fish were on little baits....tied a clouser to sting silvers for alberts and other fish years ago...It can work!

I have tried this..never had luck but I have heard of people tying clousers to poppers...now they and I used spinning rod poppers.....got some good rats :lol:
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby Cutter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm

We do some wading for flounder on a broad flat in Del Bay. The "typical" rig is a large weighted clouser-type fly fished on the mainline, and a smaller unweighted fly on a 10" dropper tied in 16" above the main fly. Some days they key in on the big fly, some days on the small. Some days the big fly gets all the flounder while the little fly gets the stripers or croaker.
In order to cast and fish well there has to be a difference in weight and size of flies so the longer leg has the deeper fly, causing it to separate the 2 flies. If they are both the same size/wt, they will tangle like %%. I have also used a crease and a small clouser on a dropper for breaking stripers, but as I posted elsewhere, don't do it on big strong fish like albies.
As for "rules" or "ethics", I'm not sure they apply as long as you are not seeking records and are in accordance with local laws. No harm, no foul. Fishing is for fun. Have a blast and post pics of what you catch.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby XXXi2 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I tried this down in the everglades for snook: a skipping minnow with a glass minnow dropped from the bend.
Occasionally I'll throw a smaller clouser (think 6) off the bend of a big one to pick up croaker. I use pretty stiff mono for the dropper.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby Piscator » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:38 pm

Do you feel the dropper impedes the action in the lead clouser on that rig? Not enough to go with something else I assume. And does the stiff mono keep from causing any tangle problems with the lead clouser body? (Do you notice alot of tangles in a thinner mono)

I am the last person to have ethical qualms about droppers. I'm a strong believer in the efficiency of fishing multi-fly setups. Being able to fish multiple stages of a hatch... Not to mention prospecting with either a popper indicator or two different flies really can make the day much more successful and informative. My concern in initially posing the question was the larger size of most saltwater flies preventing effective casting or presentation or how to effectively tie droppers in behind long streamer materials.

Thanks for the info Cutter, that was the alternative setup I was picturing if a bend-tied dropper line wasn't feasible.

I think i'll give droppers a shot while on the Shore, and see how it goes.

Postby bhorsley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:38 am

like i said never seen any advantage to a dropper but i am interested in hearing the results
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby toddkfly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 am

Try a popper dropper set up. Small popper followed by a #2 clouser about 24" or so back. Used to kill specks on this set up. Has worked from Mobjack here in VA to the everglades in FL. Think of a popping cork set up and the popper dropper mimics that. Really good in dark water.

Postby pmaxwell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:44 pm

I'd love to see Dave Mummert pipe in here. He is a avid user of the dropper rig in the salt and he does well with it.

Next

Return to The Rookie Room