Moderator Control Panel ]

Cheap Saltwater Rod/Reel

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Cheap Saltwater Rod/Reel

Postby NCangler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Everyone. I'm trying to get into saltwater fly fishing, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I've been looking at bargain rods like your TFOs and Albrights and was wondering what people thought about those rods or any others that can cheaply get one into the game. My only freshwater rod is a 5wt, so I don't see that as an option. Its 8' too. If only I could have a bunch of new rods... don't we all. How cheaply have people on here gotten a decent setup? Only request is a good warranty cause I plan on using it to its fullest potential. Looking for an 8wt. that I can use for specs, puppies, stripers, big boy drums, bonefish (if I get the chance), and steelhead/salmon when I make that drive to Penn (hopefully this fall).

Also, if you only had your pick at one fly line to start with, would you intermediate or sinker for mostly oregon inlet area fishing (prop slough, green island, blossies, new inlet)?

If its really not possible to get something cheap and effective (as in not trying to go over $300, maybe a little more, for rod/reel/line), I guess I could always resort back stranding live finger mullets on the bottom with a carolina rig. I just love the fly rod so much though.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from people. I go to the area quite a bit, so I'm always down for meeting up with people that are tired of fishing alone all the time.

Side note- Anyone selling any setups they don't need?

Re: Cheap Saltwater Rod/Reel

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:28 pm

I was able to get a St. Croix Reign for christmas and I love it for salt and bass. I got the 6wt and its a blast with spanish and moonfish. only downside is reel seat isn't anodized and there's no fighting butt. for me this wasn't a big deal though. I also use a Scott A2 which I love. Both of these have been discontinued so if you search you may find them on sale, I know I landed my Scott for under 200 and the St. Croix for under 100. As for reels, I really can't help you as I have yet to find one I truly love that is affordable. The SA system 2's are nice but I don't like how hard it is to switch spools. I would suggest poking around the Cabelas site as they have a lot of stuff and something is usually on sale. don't be afraid to get their brand either, I've fished 2 of their reels and love them. As for the line I'd recommend an intermediate for what you're doing as that is all I used when I was out with Fly Girl this summer.

hope this helps
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby NCangler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks that definitely helps. I'm going to follow your advice on the intermediate line. If I'm looking at spending as much as you say regardless, I think I found an appropriate TFO rod ($120 new) with a warranty that get's me a new one for only $25 for life.

I think for the reel I might run across the road to the Orvis shop and pick up a Battenkill IV in that sexy gold. They're usually $150 but they got them down to $110. Comes with 25-year guarantee, which I like for a piece of metal going into the salt. I don't think I can do much better than $230 + fly line for a setup with that quality. I'll let people know how it turns out when I get it going. Maybe you don't have to spend a ton to get into the sport with some quality gear.

Are you from British Columbia or is that another BC? Most scenic area I've ever seen.

Postby mb82 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Battenkill what?

At that price I assume you mean Battenkill Bar Stock AKA BBS. Not a big drag surface on there. Now if it is the Mid arbor it is a decent reel for saltwater use not the best but hey for that price I would not expect that.
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby kendalloz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:24 pm

I have an old Orvis Battenkill 8/9 reel you can have if you send me a private message with your address. It is a cast (not machined) reel and has some cosmetic issues but works. Has backing on it, too. Reddington makes great less $ rods. Sometimes there are deals at sierratradingpost.com (they even have sage stuff sometimes). Check the bargain barn. Other big box internet places have sales such as Cabelas. Sometimes local fly shops have trade-ins that are a good deal. I have sold some items through our local shop Crab Creek Outfitters in Virginia Beach.

Postby Piscator » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:25 pm

If you're going to go with an Orvis Battenkill reel go with either the MA (Mid Arbor) or LA (Large Arbor) models. They have an inline drag system that is not only less exposed but has additional annodized components that are meant to hold up to saltwater better than the BBS. Plus, on the salt and in weights 6+ you're often making longer casts and more importantly much more likely to tangle with speedy fish that will test your retrieval speed. The wider arbors on the MA or LA will be a handy feature to have.

Postby bhorsley » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:30 pm

check out the Redington Rods and Reels --good stuff
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby NCangler » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks guys for all the help. I was originally talking about the BBS IV, which is on sale now, but when I got to the Orvis shop my eyes gravitated towards the Battenkill large arbor (as Piscator was saying-- definitely agree after looking at them both). They're on sale for $198, which is over budget, but a lot of reel for that price (that is one good looking reel in gold too). Guess i'll have to think about it. Reel hasn't been too big a deal for me on the stream. Definitely makes a difference though when you hook that 20"+ though, but a $100 reel does the trick no problem (got a Lamson Konic-highly recommend it). For fly line, I think I'm going to go with Scientific Angler's Mastery Series Striper Bass (Slow Sinking) Line. Sinks at 1.25-1.75 ips. Is there a downside to get the fast sinking (3.75-6.5 ips) besides casting differences? Would it snag to much in shallower situations or cause the fly to drag?

I'm stuck in Atlanta for a while longer so I'll have some time to think about it. So many choices. The under $200 rod/reel products are blowing up. So happy to see some competition to fill the lower end with quality products. Not all of us can get sweet G Loomis's with large Ross Reels :D (might have to treat myself one day, but not in this economy)

Kendalloz, I sent you a PM.

Thanks again for the help. Really glad you started this board bhorsley. Hopefully I'll get to a point where I can offer some saltwater advice to people like me.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 am

i think you will get much more use out of the intermediate fly line--slow sinker than a fast sinker

it is everyone's board i am just the bus driver. glad it has helped
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby hh65cdr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:48 am

NCangler. You cant go wrong with the SA striper intermediate line. I have had mine for 3 or so years and it just now is starting to look like it needs replaced. It realy covers the water colum good if you only want to buy one line. As far as reels go I used to think they didnt matter but I just had a low end reel seize up on me after I dunked it in saltwater on my yak. Tried cleaning it real good when I got home and a few days later it was locked up tight. Im ruff on my stuff so I try to get stuff thats going to last. If your not going to fish salt alot then maybe a reel is not as important as a good rod and line. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Once you kill a cow, you got to make a burger.

Next

Return to The Rookie Room