Moderator Control Panel ]

Harkers Island Question from Rose61

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Harkers Island Question from Rose61

Postby bhorsley » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 pm

i move this topic to a stand along

First off, fantastic site. I was directed here prior to my first albie trip, which occurred just before Sandy came in. We got into them our last day but was unprepared for the combat fishing we encountered. Boats everywhere, zooming back and forth as the fish moved around, and right on top of each other. We managed three (yes, I'm absolutely hooked for life!) before it all ended. Did we experience a typical albie event? Is there no casting if the fish don't come up? Seems like a few times it was the boats rushing in that forced the fish down. It was exciting to say the least, and the raw power of those fish was incredible. I just want to make sure about the proper boating/fishing etiquette for our next trip. Thanks from a VA mountain guy! Rose61
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Re: Harkers Island Question from Rose61

Postby bhorsley » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:11 pm

if i could figure out how to move this topic to a stand alone in the rookie room i would --it would get more traction.
but will answer what i can. when fishing is slow folks get more aggressive --sad but true--usually rookies or folks who just don't give a damn. That is life on the rip. Sad thing is "running gunning" is like a virus --the more folks who do the more will do it. Boats as rule do not force the fish down they scatter the bait. At times blind cast works--personally is does nothing for me--i like the fishing the commotion as do my clients. But blind casting takes you out of the game--say you make a long cast in the blind and a pod of fish pop near you --you are out of the game---

me i try and keep the fish at 9 to 11 o'clock for a right handed caster and 1 to 3 o'clock for a left handed cast--ease up to pod --12'oclock cast suck as you will never move your fly as the boat is drifting toward your fly. The biggest mistake i see from anglers in not keeping constant contact with fly line and fly. If the fly hits the right spot as soon as it hits the water it needs to be moving

welcome aboard --great post

little copy and paste and we made it its own topic
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room