Moderator Control Panel ]

need reel advice

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

need reel advice

Postby SaltyPirate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Need some flyreel advice. I haven't kept up with the newer models in a few years. What recommendations do any of you have for a reel to use on my 12 weight. The rod will be used entirely for fishing heavy sinking lines over wrecks, etc for amberjacks, sharks,etc. I am concerned about having substantial drag and durability. I appreciate any suggestions as well as cheapest place to buy these online. i would also consider buying used if you guys have any sources like Ebay, etc. I appreciate any guidance you guys are willing to share

Re: need reel advice

Postby bhorsley » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:35 am

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-reels/delta/
is a decent reel for the money

check on flee bay for a Tibor Gulfstream or Sage 6012 series reels, lots of reels out there but don't skimp
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Keysjake » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

I have several Tibor Gulfstream fly reels for sale, they are black and in perfect condition, $500 each or both for $950
keysjake@aol.com. If price is not a problem I would recommend a Mako #9550-1012.
Jake Jordan
Captain Jake Jordan

Postby SaltyPirate » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks guys for the information. Capt Jake....I may get back to you on the ones you have for sale. I appreciate the advice tremendously

Return to The Rookie Room