Moderator Control Panel ]

tying lessons in se pa

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

tying lessons in se pa

Postby derf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:01 pm

anyone in se pa (lanc area ) give tying lessons ??
derf

Re: tying lessons in se pa

Postby bhorsley » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:42 pm

PM emerson he just home from the OBX today
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby derf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:46 pm

bhorsley wrote:PM emerson he just home from the OBX today

thanks brian :)

Postby FishStu » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Derf,
Stop by the Evening Rise Flyshop (in http://www.theeveningrise.com/.) Nick is the owner and is an
experienced fresh and saltwater flyfisherman. I think he offers lessons in the shop plus they have everything you
need to get started.
Also you are very close to Bob Clouser's shop in Middletown ,Pa. Don't know about lessons but if you have not been there you should go just so you can say you have met the legend !!! I know he sells Clouser Minnow kits with everything required to produce a dozen or so flies.

Postby MikeLong » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

derf...

Not sure if you are up on an event called TIEFEST. Its a bit of a drive for you, but well worth it. IT's being held Sat the 27th in Kent Island Maryland.

Trust me... it is well worth the drive. Lots of suspicious characters and a ton of talent, including big names like Lefty, Clouser and Bob Pop... And the best part...its free.

Casting lessons, Tying demonstrations and some general BS with the greatest group of misfits and yahoooos you will ever meet.

Postby derf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:26 pm

Stop by the Evening Rise Flyshop (in http://www.theeveningrise.com/.) Nick is the owner and is an
experienced fresh and saltwater flyfisherman. I think he offers lessons in the shop plus they have everything you
need to get started.
Also you are very close to Bob Clouser's shop in Middletown ,Pa. Don't know about lessons but if you have not been there you should go just so you can say you have met the legend !!! I know he sells Clouser Minnow kits with everything required to produce a dozen or so flies.

thanks for the info .
already have taken their 'introductory' lesson ..
really looking for a saltwater class
ya know i've driven past bob's shop many times . used to deliver to a few customers in that area ..
just never stopped in

Not sure if you are up on an event called TIEFEST. Its a bit of a drive for you, but well worth it. IT's being held Sat the 27th in Kent Island Maryland.

Trust me... it is well worth the drive. Lots of suspicious characters and a ton of talent, including big names like Lefty, Clouser and Bob Pop... And the best part...its free.

Casting lessons, Tying demonstrations and some general BS with the greatest group of misfits and yahoooos you will ever meet.

i've seen the ad for it somewhere ....
can make it there in about 3 hours ..
need to see if the wife has to work and what the weather is going to do ..
thanks for the info !!
derf

Postby FishStu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:52 am

I know it's tempting to try to tie the hundreds of great looking saltwater flies that you see BUT sometimes keeping it simple is
the best way to start . Learn to tie just one fly -----chartreuse and white Clouser ----well and you can cover a huge percentage of all your saltwater fly needs. Since you had an introductory course , this video ----The Fly Tying Techniques of Bob Clouser & Lefty Kreh -- DVD is probably all you need to get started and produce flies that will be VERY productive. When you master this one fly you can add
variety by tying a selection of Clousers in different sizes from about #1 to 3/0 . By varying both size and weight of the eyes and color combinations you can
produce great flies that work from just below the surface to dragging the bottom and catch lots of fish in almost every fishing situation.
I fish mostly the Chesapeake Bay and carry hundreds of flies in my tackle bag . But ,95% of my fish are caught on a Clouser Minnow.
By learning how to tie just this one fly well, you can get immediate satisfaction of catching fish on your own flies !!! The video is
part one of a two part set . The second video gives instructions of the Half and Half ---another great fly ----and several others.
I think they are around $30 each .
In addition Nick (Evening RIse) sells kits to make Crease Flies. They come complete with instructions . It's a very simple fly to make.
I say "make" because it's more like model assembly than classic fly tying. WIth the Clouser and Crease Fly you are LONG way to
having a very productive fly box that will cover almost all your fly needs.

PS ----I tie the Clouser in small sizes --#6 and #8 ---as my go to fly for Shad fishing in Deer Creek as well as sunfish and small mouth
fishing in our local streams. I live in Chadds Ford , Pa so probably fish some of the same water you are fishing.

Return to The Rookie Room