Moderator Control Panel ]

Saltwater flies needed

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Saltwater flies needed

Postby wgmiller » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm

I'll be making my first saltwater trip at the end of August and am in need of some flies. I'm not at the point yet in my flyfishing career where I can tie my own flies yet and need some of the "non-standard" colors. I was able to pick up Clousers in the basic colors such as red/white, olive/white, etc., etc.

In reading through Brian's article, I see that I should probably have a few other patterns to fill out the fly box if I want to cover my bases. I need saltwater flies in the following patterns in either a #2 or 1/0 size:

Black over orange w/ copper flash
    Black over red w/ copper flash
    Olive over white w/ copper flash
    Brown over pink w/ silver flash
    Pink over chartreuse w/ silver flash

I'd probably be looking at two of each color, so this won't be a huge order by any means (trying to control myself the first year :mrgreen: ) To any good tyers out there, give me a price quote and maybe we can work something out!

I'd also like to pick up some mole crabs or sand fleas as well. Something for surf fishing.

Re: Saltwater flies needed

Postby Siessmack » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm a poor fly fishing guide with lots of free time and a need for some cash flow so I can definitely crank those out for you. My price would be $3 apiece which is the same price as Orvis, shipping paid for by you. When do you need them by? I can do sand fleas and anything else you think you might need. Let me know if you're interested.

FYI, Clousers are pretty darn easy to tie if you want to give it a try yourself.

Thanks,

Chris
Knot the Reel World Fly Fishing LLC
knotthereelworld@gmail.com

Postby wgmiller » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Here are the flies I have thus far for "back bay" fishing:

I may just pick up some sand fleas/crabs and call it a day!

Postby wgmiller » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:55 am

Chris,

Thanks for the generous offer. I willing probably be getting in touch with you shortly to order up some sand fleas and surf-type flies. I am comfortable with the number of other flies I have for my foray into saltwater fishing. I do need some of the above-mentioned flies though.

I may have to look at getting into tying this winter as the Clouser doesn't appear to be a complicated fly to tie. Sooner or later I'll cross the abyss and become a tyer.

BTW, I'll be in the OBX from the 22nd-29th of August, so I'll be in touch shortly!

Postby Siessmack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:13 am

Wgmiller,

Sounds great, let me know. You can shoot me an email at knotthereelworld@gmail.com or post a reply to this thread, I'm on this site all the time. I've got a few cool sandflea patterns and can offer any suggestions to other flies that have worked for me in the surf. You do have a nice selection of clousers there that should certainly cover you for a week. I fish them most of the time in the OBX.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Chris

Return to The Rookie Room