Moderator Control Panel ]

Prescription Eyeware

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Prescription Eyeware

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Hello All,

I've become a huge fan of Smith Action Optics over the past few years but have never had any experience with their prescription line. I need to pick up a pair or two before heading off to Zambia for 27mo in February. Thoughts, comments, suggestions about Smith or comparable brands?

Thanks!
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Re: Prescription Eyeware

Postby marsea » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 pm

I was a dealer for several years and sold a lot of them.All customers were pleased with them. Also had several pairs of my own with no problems.

Postby floodlm » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 pm

As a previous customer who bought mine through John's shop when I lived in Durham, I still use my prescription set six years later... good set of gear and fortunately my prescription hasn't changed any measurable amount. I got the transition lens which as been awesome for driving and fishing. I now also have a pair of Prescription Costas. My preference is for the Costas, but they cost a premium over the Smiths (at least they did in my area). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks All
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby rose61 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 am

First off, fantastic site. I was directed here prior to my first albie trip, which occurred just before Sandy came in. We got into them our last day but was unprepared for the combat fishing we encountered. Boats everywhere, zooming back and forth as the fish moved around, and right on top of each other. We managed three (yes, I'm absolutely hooked for life!) before it all ended. Did we experience a typical albie event? Is there no casting if the fish don't come up? Seems like a few times it was the boats rushing in that forced the fish down. It was exciting to say the least, and the raw power of those fish was incredible. I just want to make sure about the proper boating/fishing etiquette for our next trip. Thanks from a VA mountain guy!

Last edited by rose61 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bhorsley » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Rose
rose61 wrote:First off, fantastic site. I was directed here prior to my first albie trip, which occurred just before Sandy came in. We got into them our last day but was unprepared for the combat fishing we encountered. Boats everywhere, zooming back and forth as the fish moved around, and right on top of each other. We managed three (yes, I'm absolutely hooked for life!) before it all ended. Did we experience a typical albie event? Is there no casting if the fish don't come up? Seems like a few times it was the boats rushing in that forced the fish down. It was exciting to say the least, and the raw power of those fish was incredible. I just want to make sure about the proper boating/fishing etiquette for our next trip. Thanks from a VA mountain guy!

if i could figure out how to move this topic to a stand alone in the rookie room i would --it would get more traction.
but will answer what i can. when fishing is slow folks get more aggressive --sad but true--usually rookies or folks who just don't give a damn. That is life on the rip. Sad thing is "running gunning" is like a virus --the more folks who do the more will do it. Boats as rule do not force the fish down they scatter the bait. At times blind cast works--personally is does nothing for me--i like the fishing the commotion as do my clients. But blind casting takes you out of the game--say you make a long cast in the blind and a pod of fish pop near you --you are out of the game---

me i try and keep the fish at 9 to 11 o'clock for a right handed caster and 1 to 3 o'clock for a left handed cast--ease up to pod --12'oclock cast suck as you will never move your fly as the boat is drifting toward your fly. The biggest mistake i see from anglers in not keeping constant contact with fly line and fly. If the fly hits the right spot as soon as it hits the water it needs to be moving

welcome aboard --great post
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room