Moderator Control Panel ]

Is the craziness normal?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Is the craziness normal?

Postby muskielover » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 pm

First off, fantastic site. I was directed here prior to my first albie trip, which occurred just before Sandy came in. We got into them our last day but was unprepared for the combat fishing we encountered. Boats everywhere, zooming back and forth as the fish moved around, and right on top of each other. We managed three (yes, I'm absolutely hooked for life!) before it all ended. Did we experience a typical albie event? Is there no casting if the fish don't come up? Seems like a few times it was the boats rushing in that forced the fish down. It was exciting to say the least, and the raw power of those fish was incredible. I just want to make sure about the proper boating/fishing etiquette for our next trip. Thanks from a VA mountain guy!

Re: Is the craziness normal?

Postby bhorsley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:28 pm

when you were there there were lots of amateurs around --lots of running and gunning ---i chose to fish else where

90% of the albie fishery is a site fishery --casting to breaking fish --some caught in the blind but most times your line is in the water when you need to move or the fish pop up on the other side of the boat. Boats push the bait more than the fish try and approach the fish off to the side and do not force them to move

watch the guides or most of them. there will always amateurs comes with the turf
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Re: Is the craziness normal?

Postby muskielover » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks for the reply.

Return to The Rookie Room