Moderator Control Panel ]

Favorite Reels

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Favorite Reels

Postby ptfranze » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:56 am

So as I said I am very new to salt water fly fishing. I am trying to figure out what kind of set up to buy. I have looked through all the topics and have seen plenty that have talked about rods (I am looking at the Redington Predator 8 weight) and seen plenty about what type of line to use etc.

However I didn't see anything suggesting what types of reels. I was just wondering what everyone's favorite reel to use was or what a good reel would be to pair with the Redington?

Thanks everyone

Re: Favorite Reels

Postby BCflyfisher2012 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Everyone has their own favorites for reels, some more expensive than others; but my being a grad student, well...i tend to find the less expensive stuff and see how it works. I found this little gem at the recommendation of a friend and paired it with my St. Croix 8wt. Together they've stood up to 13 Albies in a day with Capt. Sarah and countless stripers on the Chesapeake Bay. In my opinion the best bang I couldve gotten for my buck. The reel is made by Albright but sold through SeaLevel FlyFishing. No affiliation to me, just some good guys with good products.

http://sealevelflyfish.com/reels/albright-tempest-reel/

best of luck!
Bradley

"Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go" ~ Jimmy Buffett

Postby bhorsley » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Redington Reels have also been very good for the money
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby kendalloz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 pm

You should also consider a used Tibor if you want to save some money. They will last almost for ever and Tibor will service them for a small fee even if you buy them used. You will not really have to replace it...ever.

Postby flyinby » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I would buy a used high quality reel.They will outlast a cheaper model, you'll be more pleased with the price and performance in the long run..I feel certain the person selling a high quality reel isn't selling due to performances, but rather downsizing their arsenal, or wanting a new toy...Great bargains to be had on used Tibors, Islanders, Abel's, etc.

Postby JSnipes » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm

good reel = a smooth, effective drag with plenty of capacity... there are dozens of great reels on the market... I will say that when it comes to fishing in saltwater, you typically get what you pay for (components, corrision, drag, etc.), but at the same time there are some seriously good reels out there for moderate prices, just look around.

I just realized that I probably didn't help you one bit.... :ugeek:

Postby BlueHeron » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I am not that far ahead of you on the learning curve - and this site is terrific.
Smooth drag and lots of backing capacity won't matter for most fish you catch. But the thing about fishing, and part of the reason we do it, is that you never know when the fish of a lifetime will bite. A lot of things can go wrong and cause you to lose the fish, ans several of them are a function of the quality of the reel. At least that's the justification I make for paying a lot for reels. :oops:

A have some middle range reels for back up. The redington Rise is pretty solid, a mid-arbor design. A new model the Rise II has come out, and some shops are selling off the Rise for a big discount. worth a look. The sizes run small, compared to some reels - the 9/10 seems right for an 8 wt rod for saltwater use to me.

Welcome to the board, good fishing.
Dave
the bus came by and I got on
that's when it all began

Return to The Rookie Room