Moderator Control Panel ]

Cobia flies, lines

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Cobia flies, lines

Postby krammatt » Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 pm

What flies are your "go to" ones for sight casting to cobia along the beaches, inlets or Diamond shoals on the Outer Banks? Is an intermediate line ok or is a sinking line preferred. I have use jigs on cobia with spin tackle in the past and they liked large lead head buck tails usually biting as the jig sinks.

Re: Cobia flies, lines

Postby GReich » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am

I've typically used a red-and-yellow bunny strip fly with weighted eyes on an intermediate fly line when fishing with Kendall.

If they're tailing around the edges of a buoy on the surface, you also can entice them with a popper.

I saw a tarpon fly pattern that looks just like an eel I am looking forward to trying this year.

A guide I once went out with sums it up best, though: "They're pretty stupid and will take most anything."

Postby bhorsley » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 am

GReich wrote:I've typically used a red-and-yellow bunny strip fly with weighted eyes on an intermediate fly line when fishing with Kendall.

If they're tailing around the edges of a buoy on the surface, you also can entice them with a popper.

I saw a tarpon fly pattern that looks just like an eel I am looking forward to trying this year.

A guide I once went out with sums it up best, though: "They're pretty stupid and will take most anything."

you better keep fishing with that guide as they can be very picky on boat

i use red and yellow bunny flies and red and yellow hollow deceivers
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby GReich » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Kendall is a better guide. :D

Return to The Rookie Room