Moderator Control Panel ]

Corolla Fishing

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Corolla Fishing

Postby michaelt35 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I am coming to Corolla June 10 from Montana. I have done a fair bit of salt fly fishing in the Carib, but nothing in surf or that far north. Any info about flies, rod size etc would be useful. Also info re species both on surf side and lagoon side. Appreciate any comments.

Re: Corolla Fishing

Postby Biff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Very little activity in the sound last year, would think surf early and late. Last year had an influx of a miniature albie clone that was sipping on small minnows in the surf almost every sun rise and set. I think a 5/6 would be appropriate, floating or IM with lean flies, they were kicking up glass minnows, silversides, etc. Not really needing a long cast, just 30 feet or so past the bottom of the curl most times. Trout spotty (pun intended) very early, occasional pounder blues, maybe some spanish occasionally. Saw more activity up in Carova around the stump fields, mileposts 17 and 20-22 seemed the hottest. The sound might be good for bass, puppies - kind of in limbo after Irene kissed us...
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby michaelt35 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks for the the info. Looking forward to trying something totally new and seeing some new fish.

Postby bhorsley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 am

you might need to head to oregon inlet one day as fishing in corolla can be difficult
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Return to The Rookie Room