Moderator Control Panel ]

New 9" 8wgt

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

New 9" 8wgt

Postby woolybugger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm looking for a new rod for a trip to the Keys as well as use on the OBX and Eastern Shore. I'm pretty sure I want a 9" 8 weight. I'm trying to get a really good rod without completely breaking the bank. Looking at St Croix Legend Elite. Not too interested in spending >$500. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to cast any rods before purchase where I live. Can anyone comment on this rod or recommend a better choice? Also, how do you feel about 2 piece vs 4 piece? Thanks for your time and help.
Jim C
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Re: New 9" 8wgt

Postby bhorsley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

check out these rods--we have them on our boats and are very happy with them.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/rods/all-water/flight--about 350.00 made in the USA

http://www.redington.com/rods/predator -249.00 made else where

http://www.redington.com/rods/cpx 329.00

St Croix makes a great stick as well and it is made in the USA
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Cutter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Woolybugger,

I won an 8 wt predator at the Cape Lookout Flyfishers banquet. It is a very nice rod and handles a floater and a sinker well. The hardware may not be quite as nice as the high end Sages, but if you wash them down at the end of the day, they should hold up well. I also have some St Croix I would put in the same catagory.

If you can make it to Tiefest on the 25th, there may be a chance to cast some of these side by side.
The world is your oyster-
So show up with a knife and know how to shuck.

Postby Biff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 am

I have been using reels from Allen Fly and have a bunch of friends doing the same - Justin has come out with his own rods now, including a series with the 3M nano Ti resin. I believe they are being wrapped in washington, but from all accounts they are great deals on excellent rods. Call them and talk about what your needs are and I think you'll be impressed - they re very good to deal with!

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/pages/rods
You can never take a picture of a thing, you can only take a picture of the light on a thing - "the way that light attaches to a girl"

Postby woolybugger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Great information. Thanks to all.
Jim C
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Postby bhorsley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:48 pm

to me that 3M Nano tech rods are a lot of smoke and mirrors. As it stand now it can only be used in conjunction with IM6 graphite --which is 20+ years old technology. So do not be swayed by the techie sounding process --but if you like the rods fish them
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby lwflyrod » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I know my son Bradley (BCflyfisher) has been using a St Croix 8wt cant remember the model, he loves it. He's used it on Albies with Sarah at Harkers, Stripers on the Chesapeake with Chris N. Blues and Spanish on the OBX both in the surf, on the kayak and on the boat, he also took it with him and used it on bones in Belize just this past January, he has also used it on largemouth/smallies here in the Shenandoah Valley. Good Rod.
It was a gift and not a big choice for him. Its been a really good rod and has seen a TON of fish, especially this past year....So there's a plus for St Croix.
We have 3 other St Croix in the family a 4wt and 2 (Devil Sticks) Bait casters.
I am in the similar boat you are looking for an 8wt that wont break the bank...Been using a 7wt for most but when I get to the Albies, I use Sarah's Rods on her boat.
I firmly believe what Brian said if you find one you like use it.
Its what feels good to you when you cast it. Is my thought, and from my own experience there are many days when thats all you do is cast into the wind...... :oops:
But then there are days when life is good and fish cooperate.....Its all about having fun.

My preference is so far is 4 piece rods, I like the ability to pack them for hikes or stow extra in kayak, but you need to make sure they assemble tight, The most frequent place a rod breaks in where its joined because it got loose or wasnt put together right, and 4pc gives you 3 areas as a 2 pc only 1
2 piece are just a bit large, when it comes to hiking carrying my 2piece in a case is a pain vs the 4pc Brad has. But it just preference and should go with your style. some 2piece is not an issue at all.
That just my preference but hope so of the info helps.
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Postby bhorsley » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:30 pm

i would really check out the redington predator rods--they are four piece, lifetime warranty. we have the 8s, 9s and 10s on our boats. I am getting some 11 wts for sharking this summer. They come in two lengths 8'3" and 9'. They sell for 249.00
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby Emerson » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

$ for $ the Predator cannot be beaten!

I used the 8 and 10 on Brian's boat ...they cast super well...they fight fish very well....got a real nice dorado on one after an easy long cast...due to rod!
I would not even look any further!

For $249 tough to pass up..
expelled by el Compressor

Emerson

Postby lwflyrod » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 am

Hmm, sounds to me like I'll have to check out the Reddingtons then... Reviews from these trusted sources is hard to ignore.:D
Lee W
"Teach a kid to fish and give the gift of a lifetime of memories."

Next

Return to The Rookie Room