Moderator Control Panel ]

Tying Your Own Leaders

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Tying Your Own Leaders

Postby GReich » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi guys.

After a trip down to the Keys for permit and tarpon, I'm kind of obsessed with the prospect of tying my own leaders, but not sure where to find a good resource. I have looked online, but everyone seems to have their own (very opinionated) ideas of how to tie up leaders. I have always been that guy with the knotless, tapered leaders, but feel like it's a skill I should have in my pocket.

I'd like to be able to tie up leaders for the species that I most often fish for (stripers, blues, span macks, cobia, and reds), but also be able to tie up some permit and tarpon leaders for when I head down south again.

I thought about buying a few knot books to get me started, but the formulas and recipes I am finding online are perplexing me the most, not the knots.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

Re: Tying Your Own Leaders

Postby flyinby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 pm

I like Practicle Fishing Knots by Lefty and Mark Sosin..Helped me alot..

Postby 19mko » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 am

Here's a good response I got to a similar question.

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=91

Postby bhorsley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 am

Gary for permit i think i would use a knotless tapered leader with a piece of shock/bite tippet added--10' total length. Tarpon leaders--don't tie that many but tied a ton of sailfish leaders and basically the same. 6 to 7 foot butt section of 50 to 60 pound (play with this see what turns over better) class section of Rio Hard Mono or Mason Mono--which has a Bimini on both ends--one end you double the loop and this goes to the butt section, attach the shock/bite tippet with a huffnagle knot. Shock can be from 40 to 100 pound. Another version tie a Bimini in one end and make a double loop and on the other end attach shock with slim beauty knot. Many folks like this due to smaller profile. Be sure class tippet is at least 15 inches between the knots.

The last day time tarpon i caught was in a tournament and we used a straight knotted leader --60, 40, 30, 25 and 40 pound shock all tied out of fluorocarbon --it was put together with blood knots it was also a total of 14'
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby GReich » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks guys, both excellent answers!

Return to The Rookie Room