Moderator Control Panel ]

Fly tying vice?

Questions and Answers about the basics of flyfishing for newbies and the old timers that just can't remember

Fly tying vice?

Postby Jbob » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Winter is fixing to rear it's ugly head! While I'm waiting for spring I figure I could take a couple of classes at my local shop and take a crack at tying my own flies. I don't have a vice or any tools yet so I just wanted to get some opinions from some of you guys on what kind of vice to buy. I'm just starting out so I don't see any reason to take out a loan for a tying vice. But I also would rather spend a little more now than have to replace stuff down the road. I will be tying mostly saltwater flies and stuff for bass / pickerel . Would love to get some opinions from you guys with experience. Thanks . Glad the fishing picked back up for you guys . Hopefully my luck will be better next yrs visit.

Re: Fly tying vice?

Postby XXXi2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

The Dyna-King Kingfisher is a great entry level vise. It won't hold you back as your tying skills progress over the next few years and it definitely won't fall apart on you.
You should be able to get one for under $150.
20" is not 20 lbs.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Renzetti Travler is another great entry level vise. The Regal is also another super vise. Wish i still had mine--sold it when i got my Renzeti Master. The Regal is very simple and great for clousers
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Re: Fly tying vice ?

Postby meatstick » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:14 pm

If you go with the Renzetti "Traveler" and you plan to tie mostly SW flies and warmwater
flies, you may want the "cam lever" tightening version. The knurled knob tightening version is used mostly for tiny hooks.

I have been using a traveler with pedestal base for eons ... all I need, and love the
compactness/portability. I tie no where near as many flies as the Boss & Sarah, so the
"Master" is over-kill for me, but a beautiful tool for those requiring full-boat features.

Postby bhorsley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Master is an unbelievable vise --over kill for most folks. I have had one for 15 yrs. and we picked up a second one at Tie Fest for 50% off
growing old ain't for sissies
Pure-T-Mommicked

Postby jsaunders » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 am

I love my peak. I think it retails around $150, rotary,the saltwater jaws are about $30 extra, but the regular ones will hold hooks up to about 3/0, depending on the gauge. The saltwater ones will hold any size hook that I have ever tried, including some heavy 7/0 bucktail jig hooks. Made in USA. Lifetime warranty. Have had it for a few years and have been very pleased.

Postby flyinby » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 am

I have used a Renzetti Presentation pedestal for over 16 yrs. Love the master, but cannot justify the money...I'm not sure if renzetti still produces the presentation, but I have tied everything from a size 32 to 10/0....It does have a knurled tension knob, not a cam lever...They make a fine product...

Postby mb82 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:49 am

Love my renzeti vices. But I won't lie, been looking at the Regal vices thinking about making a brand switch. I am just afraid to because I cracked on Regals so much at work to one of my co-workers if I get one now I won't hear the end of it :lol:
Jeff G
Generally found under a bridge somewhere.

Postby Jbob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Thank you for the input. Still havent made a choice yet but helpful to hear some more informed folks chime in . Have not had a day off since I left NC. Good for my wallet but I need to go catch some fish real soon before I get too grumpy. Going to grab my nephew early thanksgiving morning and go fish a nearby lake that has some big brown trout in it. All quiet on the striper front up here. I used to take it for granted that I could fish an hour before work and catch a couple nice fish. Things get a little harder every season. No comments on fisheries politics allowed on here so I will leave it at that. It makes me appreciate it even more now when I do get a good one. Feel sorry for my nephew though. Thanks again for the advice!

Postby Junebug » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 am

I have to add my input on the Renzetti "Traveler". :D Yup, I like mine! I was looking for a rotary vise and this one became available. I tie mostly SW flies up to 4/0 and don't have any negative comments. I would suggest if you get this vise or any other rotary, be sure to get the bobbin hanger with it.

Joe

Return to The Rookie Room